Cannot burn audio or data cds on Windows Vista Basic RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello everyone,

I've done some searching on the 'net and on these forums but can't find an answer to this issue. I've an Acer Aspire 3680 laptop running Window Vista Basic that cannot burn audio or data cds at all. If I try to burn an audio cd using Windows Media Player 11 I get the following error:

You've encountered error message C00D10DA while using Windows Media Player.

If I try to burn a data cd using Windows Explorer, I get the following error:

There was a problem burning this disc

It seems that the issue is with the Vista burning engine itself, since installing CDBurnerXP allows me to burn both a data and audio cd.

I've tried the following to fix the issue:

1. Run "sfc /scannow" as an administrator. It states that no files are corrupt or needed replacement.
    2. Updated to SP1 and applied all available patches using Windows Update.
    3. Used a Windows Vista DVD to boot and attempt a repair. It states that there is nothing to repair.
    4. Run setup from the Windows Vista DVD and attempt a re-install; it errors out with Error 0x0.

While I realize that I could just use other burning software, I prefer to use Windows Media Player itself. Also, since it worked before, I see no reason why it should just stop working. I'm sure there's something I did to it that incapacitated the OS, but I'm not sure what.

If there is any additional information that I should post to ease the troubleshooting process, just let me know, and I will gladly post it.

Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.

-DonValor

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 1:48 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem and wondered if you had solved yours? I am not that tech savvy, but I did try uninstalling Roxio since I never use it, and it's made no difference. I still get the same error message when I try to burn an audio CD.  I find it all very frustrating -- can't MS help???
    Sunday, August 9, 2009 9:16 AM