Since Exchange 2016 - Views/Filter DocSiteControl doesn't work any more RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we could reproduce on several Exchange 2016 systems that with Exchange 2016 the Outlook function for filtering views contains a bug. It is no longer possible to filter by views for emails, appointments or contacts in their messages or note fields. All these fields are of type DocSiteControl. The filtering of views by other fields works fine.
    (View / View settings / Filter / Advanced/ All Contact fields or frequently-used fields / notes )

Filtering in the notes of contacts or messages of emails is very important for us and worked fine with Exchange 2010. Since our migration to Exchange 2016 we have the described problem. Our IT service provider was able to reproduce the bug on several other Exchange2016 systems of other customers.

Is there a workaround? Or has this bug already been reported to microsoft and is it being processed?

Thanks a lot.

• Edited by Wilfried 13 Saturday, February 15, 2020 4:07 PM
    Friday, February 14, 2020 5:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the detailed version of your Outlook and Exchange 2016 server?

Can you explain more details about the error or alert you get when you try to filter the items? You can post the screenshot here, and don't forget to cover your personal information.

In my test, I tried to filter the contacts whose company is "company1". In my contacts, only the company for test2 is set to "company2".

1. Before filtering:

2. Set the Filter "Company is company1" for all contacts:

3. The filter with View Settings works well:

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 17, 2020 3:32 AM
  • Hi Lydia

Thank you very much. Outlook2016: Version 2001 (Build 12430.20184), Exchange2016: 15.1.1913.7

Please use the business card view for your test to work with the note field. The problem only affects the note field. Or the message field in e-mails. All docsitecontrol fields as I suspect. The filtering of other fields like company works fine.

This is only for the notes field and only in online mode (uncached).

I would be very pleased with your result for the adapted test

Regards,

Wilfried Stelling

Monday, February 17, 2020 1:55 PM
  • Here is my test progress:

1. I add the note "contact 1" only for test1:

2. Use Outlook Online mode, and set the Current View to Business Card:

3. Set Filter for View Settings. All Contact fields > Notes > set the condition "contains 'contact' ":

4. It only shows test1 as expected:

If there are any misunderstanding, please point out. If it's convenient for you, you can provide more details about your test progress, and don't forget to cover your personal information.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 6:53 AM
  • Dear Lydia

thank you very much. This is the exact experimental design.

I can get the same result as you with this arrangement with only one filter attempt. But if I now filter for another content, the first found contact still remains as result. It should not be displayed now, but the other contacts with the other search content. In addition, a contact must disappear from the filter result view, if I delete the search entry in the note field. This does not work either.

Can you reproduce the behaviour? Or does all this work for you?

Regards

Wilfried Stelling

The filter result displayed below comes from a previous filter. The note field does not contain the search term

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 10:32 AM
  • I test again but cannot reproduce your issue.

1. I set different notes for three contacts. user11 is set to "first contact", user12 is set to "second contact", user13 is set to "third contact":

2. In Business Card view, set Filter for View Settings. All Contact fields > Notes > set the condition "contains 'first' ". Only user11 is displayed:

3. Change the criteria to "contains 'second' ". Only user12 is displayed, the previous search result isn't displayed:

For your issues, you can try to restart Outlook, or create a new Outlook profile to check if there any differences. Please also try to update to use the latest version.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Friday, February 21, 2020 9:46 AM
  • Dear Lydia, thank you for your kind support

Yes, I can recreate these results. This was to be expected.

Please create three more contacts. user14, user15, user16. In all three further contacts please write second in the note field. If you now filter in the notes again after "second", I expect the previous filter result for second, namely user12, to be displayed in the filter display. The three new contacts not at all or only partially. If now additionally in the filter result display in the displayed contacts the entry "second" is removed from the note field, they still remain in the result display for the filter term "second". Correctly they should then disappear from filter result view.

The first filter result seems to be different from following filter attempts . The first filter result is also not correct if many contacts are involved. But it leads to different results than the following attempts. And the first result (e.g. search term "second")is always displayed again, even if the contents (e.g. "second") in the note fields of the displayed contacts have been changed.

Regards, Wilfried

I have arranged for a support ticket (Ticket #:18773134)

• Edited by Wilfried 13 Monday, February 24, 2020 2:36 PM
    Monday, February 24, 2020 2:35 PM
  • Well, if you have any updates to share from the Microsoft support team, you're welcomed to post here.

Hope your issues can be solved soon.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 7:14 AM
  • Hello Lydia

Microsoft Support could reproduce the problem. It's actually a bug and Microsoft paid the support fee back. Great, now I'm waiting for the update with bug fixes.

Many greetings and thank you very much.

Have a nice day, Wilfried

Monday, March 2, 2020 12:03 PM
  • Hi Wilfried,

Thanks for your sharing. Here is a brief summary about this thread, hope this can help more people with similar issues.

Issue Symptom:

we could reproduce on several Exchange 2016 systems that with Exchange 2016 the Outlook function for filtering views contains a bug. It is no longer possible to filter by views for emails, appointments or contacts in their messages or note fields. All these fields are of type DocSiteControl. The filtering of views by other fields works fine.

(View / View settings / Filter / Advanced/ All Contact fields or frequently-used fields / notes )

Cause:

Microsoft Support could reproduce the problem. It's actually a bug.

Suggestion:

Wait for the update to fix this issue.

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Tuesday, March 3, 2020 12:59 AM