2007 Secondary site to 2012 DP RRS feed

• Question

• Have a new scenario I have never had to consider before and wanted to get others input.

One of my servers in China is currently a 2007 secondary site with MP/DP roles.  Unlike all my other sites where we were able to stand up a new VM in parallel I don't have another server to work with there.  Given the fact that both 2007 and 2012 share the same service names I wouldn't think it would be possible to install a 2012 DP on this server without disrupting current 2007 operations. (Both infrastructures are completely separate)

Anyone have any creative ideas on what I could do outside of waiting for the cutover date and de-installing 2007 then install the new 2012 DP?  Trying to avoid having to wait until cutover time to replicate the 100GB of packages.

Maybe the best bet is to Robocopy the data to the server and do prestaged content at the day of cutover?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:11 PM

All replies

• Anyone have any creative ideas on what I could do outside of waiting for the cutover date and de-installing 2007 then install the new 2012 DP?  Trying to avoid having to wait until cutover time to replicate the 100GB of packages.

You don't have to William. If you remove the 2007 MP role you can carry out an in-place upgrade of the 2007 secondary site to a 2012 DP as long as

1. you have shared the DPs

2. You have 100% free space available

In this scenario the data is converted to the new content library format but this is carried out locally - no need to re-distribute content.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Gerry.  Can you elaborate on the 100% free disk space available?

Also, I have converted 90% of my "packages" that I migrated to 2012 to applications and have added a few since in both locations (new package for 2007/new application in 2012).  Would this have any bearing on the process of upgrading it?

Thursday, August 8, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Yes, if your 2007 DP currently has xGB of content than you would need to have at least xGB of free space available for the conversion to 2012 content library.

This process would only convert 2007 packages to 2012 packages. If you have converted to 2012 applications already then you would have to re-distribute these apps. If you have to re-distribute 90% it reduces the benefit of an in-place upgrade for you.

I've done a blog series on the migration process from 2007 which might help you (last post to finish this weekend)

http://www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie/2013/07/configmgr-2012-sccm-2012-sp1-step-by.html

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, August 8, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Yeah, that's what I figured.  :-/  Thanks for the replies though.  Guess I'll keep marching down the path of prestaged content.

Thanks again

Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:05 PM