Registry Edits don't update Group Policie RRS feed

• Question

• My script has several registry adds to disable several Group Policy settings related to Windows Updates. I'm pretty sure my syntax is correct, so I'm unsure as to why the settings are still "Not configured" in LGPO.

:: Do not connect to any Windows Updates Internet locations
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v DoNotConnectToWindowsUpdateInternetLocations /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

:: Remove access to use all Windows Update features
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v SetDisableUXWUAccess /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate" /v DisableWindowsUpdateAccess /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

:: Turn off access to all Windows Update features
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v DisableWindowsUpdateAccess /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication" /v DisableWindowsUpdateAccess /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

:: Removes links and access to Windows Updates
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoWindowsUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

gpupdate /force
    • Edited by SNguyen2 Tuesday, March 26, 2019 6:28 PM Missing line
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 6:27 PM

Answers

• You cannot override GP by changing a registry key.  That is the purpose of GP.  It enforces settings.  GP saves the setting rules and applies them on each refresh, login and reboot.  You can remove the GP setting in GPEdit and then set the required key directly. 

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:11 PM