Why are some group policies reverting to factory default, and others to custom settings I did not define? RRS feed

• Question

•  I had defined group policy to prompt for credentials upon UAC. Windows or something else then disabled and reverted group policy back to "prompt for consent." Then this happened twice so far. The second time, when I changed the setting back to "prompt for credentials" I was asked to provide a user name and password, instead of just a password. There is another policy that defines if a user name is prompted along with the password and I'm trying to search for it.

I spent a day or so hardening the system & reducing attack surface before going online.  What is going on here? Never had this problem with windows 7. Windows 7's attack surface is a lot smaller, given windows 10's  telemetry and spyware built into the system connecting to the internet.

• Edited by tutudids Sunday, January 27, 2019 3:02 AM
    Sunday, January 27, 2019 2:58 AM

All replies

• GPO :Windows Virtualization Based Security" was enabled though I never set it to enabled, how is this possible?
    Sunday, January 27, 2019 3:03 AM
  • Ok so "enumerate administrator accounts on elevation" was set to disabled, which required me to enter both a name and a password; I never set this policy. How is this possible?
    Sunday, January 27, 2019 6:04 AM
  • Hi,

Is your machine in a domain or local?

Please reset all GP settings to default and then reset your UAC setting to check if the issue persists.

How to reset all Local Group Policy settings to default in Windows 10

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/reset-all-group-policy-settings-to-default

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 28, 2019 6:03 AM