none
How to Configure Workgroup Password Policies in Windows 7

Question

• Hi Everyone!

I need to configure password policies in my local Workgroup environment for five Computers running Windows 7.

Please let me know if anyone has done and experienced it.

Thanks

Azaam

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Group Policy work best in a domain environment, however you can apply some features in a work group environment. You will need to have admin privileges on all the systems in your workgroup.
    To configure the LGPO, you can either configure on one system and export the policy to the other machines or via MMC console. Simply open a new MMC console, add the Group Policy snap-in, and click Browse to select another machine, but this will require the machines to be on a LAN.

Once the LSP is up, select the account policies and configure as you desire.

For configuration of the policy, you can check this article
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/customizing-the-password-policy-in-windows-7

Best regards

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:55 PM
  • Hi Azaam,
    I agree with fibipeter, please use local group policy to configure the password policy. If you want to configure local group policies in workgroup environment centrally, please open %systemroot%\system32\grouppolicy\ which has two folders – “machine” and “user”, you could copy these to folders to the %systemroot%\system32\grouppolicy folder on the target machines, then please do a reboot or “gpupdate /force”.
    For security settings:
    1.) Open MMC and add the Snapin “Security Templates”.
    2.) Create your own customized template and save it as an “*inf” file.
    3.) Copy the file to the target machine and import it via command line tool “secedit”:
    secedit /configure /db %temp%\temp.sdb /cfg <'yourGP'>.inf
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Group Policy work best in a domain environment, however you can apply some features in a work group environment. You will need to have admin privileges on all the systems in your workgroup.
    To configure the LGPO, you can either configure on one system and export the policy to the other machines or via MMC console. Simply open a new MMC console, add the Group Policy snap-in, and click Browse to select another machine, but this will require the machines to be on a LAN.

Once the LSP is up, select the account policies and configure as you desire.

For configuration of the policy, you can check this article
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/customizing-the-password-policy-in-windows-7

Best regards

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 9:55 PM
  • Hi Azaam,
    I agree with fibipeter, please use local group policy to configure the password policy. If you want to configure local group policies in workgroup environment centrally, please open %systemroot%\system32\grouppolicy\ which has two folders – “machine” and “user”, you could copy these to folders to the %systemroot%\system32\grouppolicy folder on the target machines, then please do a reboot or “gpupdate /force”.
    For security settings:
    1.) Open MMC and add the Snapin “Security Templates”.
    2.) Create your own customized template and save it as an “*inf” file.
    3.) Copy the file to the target machine and import it via command line tool “secedit”:
    secedit /configure /db %temp%\temp.sdb /cfg <'yourGP'>.inf
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:17 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:42 AM