User Profile service automated restore solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a sharepoint problem that I have been battling for a bit and can't seems to get around. I have a live SP Farm and a disaster recovery SP Farm. I have automated the following.

1. At the end of each day all live sharepoint databases get backed up and a copy gets copied to the DR where the DR SP Farm is.
    2. A powershell script that restores the managed metadata database, and all content database.

With the list automation in place I'm able to bring up all site collections and access their respective metadata.On the otherhand,attempts automate the restore of the User profile service doesn't seem to work. I'm able to restore the Profile,social and sync DB. I'm able to automate the recreation of the service application but again the sync service keeps getting stuck at starting.Ideally, I would want the user profile service and possibly the search service automatically restored everynight. Please could you help in giving details on how this can't be done properly.

Thanks,

Dominic

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:18 PM

All replies

• Why do it this way? Just use Database Mirroring or AlwaysOn instead. Have the databases in a read-only state.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Proposed as answer by Dean_Wang Wednesday, November 23, 2016 7:00 AM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 3:21 PM
  • The licensing does not permit that I'm able to do Database Mirroring and AlwaysOn at the same time. Also, the issue is not restoring the affected DBs as I'm able to do this easily. My issue is at the service application level.

Thanks,

Dominic

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:08 PM