Move a mailbox from between Exchange 2003 Servers - Location A to Location B RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We currently have 2 locations with each location have own exchange 2003 server. I would like to move a mailbox from exchange server in location B to exchange server in location A. I can go to Active Directory or System Manager and right click on the user's mailbox then click on Exchange Tasks and follow the steps to move the mailbox....is this the correct way of performing the mailbox move? I know I need to backup the mailbox first or export to PST incase something goes wrong, but what other steps I need to do before and after the backup to insure the move is done correctly?

Thanks....B

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:56 PM

Answers

• Soem steps which we take care when do move mailbox.

1. Check source and destination server have enough free space in Storage group log drive

2. Check band widht between both location and if you have low BW then move mais in PST and then reduce size before move.

3. Notify users about move mailbox as it will close MAPI and other connection

4. Take an immedeate backup of source and target location to be in safe.

All above steps are impliese if you are going to mobe more number of mailbox's

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Anil K Singh Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:05 PM

All replies

• Soem steps which we take care when do move mailbox.

1. Check source and destination server have enough free space in Storage group log drive

2. Check band widht between both location and if you have low BW then move mais in PST and then reduce size before move.

3. Notify users about move mailbox as it will close MAPI and other connection

4. Take an immedeate backup of source and target location to be in safe.

All above steps are impliese if you are going to mobe more number of mailbox's

Anil MCC 2011,ITIL V3,MCSA 2003,MCTS 2010, My Blog : http://messagingschool.wordpress.com
    • Proposed as answer by Anil K Singh Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Crowley Wednesday, July 27, 2011 3:18 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 3:05 PM
  • this the correct way of performing the mailbox move?

yes you are right. If you have well connected bandwith line between the two line, you can directly move the mailbox ( single or few)

Also, Make sure your disks are having enough space, because bult mailbox move will increase in lot of transactional log and fill up your disk space

Better to make a exchange aware backup after moving the mailbox to reduce the disk space and not the PST backup if you are moving mailbox.

mailbox move wont affect anything in your environment, expect the bandwith consumption.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Hi,

I would suggest you schedule the moving mailbox during the night or weekend because it will cause the downtime depends on how big the mailbox you have.

How to move mailbox in EXCHANGE 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821829

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:09 AM