none
Multiproject Ressource Leveling RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

my little question is:

I have a ressource planned in multiple projects. The projects are having different prioritys.

Now I want to use the ressource leveling function, to spread the worktime of the ressource based on the prioritys of the projects.

Is this possible? When I click ressource leveling in the Project with the lowest priority, nothing happens. I only get the error, that Project is not possible to Level the ressource exceeding at differend Dates.

Could somebody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Marc

Thursday, March 28, 2013 11:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

When I test it, it DOES level the lowest prioriy project taking into account the summary tasks load. So something is not quite as we understand it.

- Look at the resource usage view. Can you see the assignments showing the load of the other projects? If not, your option "Load Summary Resource Assignments" does not work.

- Does it properly level without taking the load of the other projects into account or doesn't leveling work at all? If the latter is the case, I can imagine several reasons why.

Greetings,

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What you want to do is definitely possible.

The error message is generally explicit enough to inform you why it comes up. Have you assigned the resource on (a) task(s) for more than its max units? Have you assigned it to a summary task and one of its subtasks? Have you set the option "level only within available slack"? Have you constrained the tasks in such a way that leveling can't move them? Have you entered actual start and /or finish?

Using the text of the error massage, try to clean up as much as you can. If there are still some messages you really do not understand you can send the file to

jandemesATprom-ade.be (replace AT by @)

We'll get out of it.

Greetings,

Thursday, March 28, 2013 8:50 PM
  • On the general principle that the more precise you make the question, the better an answer you are likely to get... Before sending your file to Jan, you may want to check the leveling options selected when trying to level your single project - in particular, is 'Level only within available slack' checked? A common cause of the error 'Not possible to level at date x' is that to apply a leveling delay to one of the tasks on date x would cause the project end date to be delayed.

Leveling across multiple projects according to their priority is a larger topic. This can be done by opening all the involved projects and including them in one new window. Then make sure that the priorities for each project are copied to all the tasks for that project - then level. Even so, there are several nuances to the leveling algorithm that you should probably get familiar with before doing this in earnest.

Graham

Friday, March 29, 2013 2:25 PM
  • Hello everybody,

thanks a lot for your help.

The problem was, that I just opened the Project with the lowest priority.

Is it a mandatory need that I have to open all Projects? I thought, that the Project Server does the necessity.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Marc

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

Wow, suddenly you surprise everybody by announcing you are using Project Server - we were all thinking in terms of Project Professional with a resource pool - no wonder our replies weren't accurate.

In a server environment, several cases are possible.

When you connect to the server manually you will have the option to show summary load of the projects that are not open.

If that option is off, leveling will only know the assignments of the open project(s) and thus ignore all non-open  projects and the workload of the resources therein.

If that option is on, leveling will know the resource load in all server-stored projects but for the non-open projects that will only be the total load for the project/resoruce, and this workload will be consideren non movable. Only assignments in the open project(s) will be leveled.

But whatever options, leveling will only move assignments in open projects!!

Greetings,

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:40 AM
  • If that option is on, leveling will know the resource load in all server-stored projects but for the non-open projects that will only be the total load for the project/resoruce, and this workload will be consideren non movable. Only assignments in the open project(s) will be leveled

Hi and thanks a lot for your help.

The Option "Load Summary Resource Assignments" is enabled, when I connect to the Project Server.

My mind is to open the Project with the lowest priority and Level only this one. So, that the Tasks in this Project are leveled to the rest of the available time of the ressources.

But this is only working, when I have opened the higher prioritised Projects, too.

Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Marc

• Edited by Airwave1981 Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:24 PM
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

When I test it, it DOES level the lowest prioriy project taking into account the summary tasks load. So something is not quite as we understand it.

- Look at the resource usage view. Can you see the assignments showing the load of the other projects? If not, your option "Load Summary Resource Assignments" does not work.

- Does it properly level without taking the load of the other projects into account or doesn't leveling work at all? If the latter is the case, I can imagine several reasons why.

Greetings,

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:21 PM
  • 1. - Look at the resource usage view. Can you see the assignments showing the load of the other projects? If not, your option "Load Summary Resource Assignments" does not work.

2. - Does it properly level without taking the load of the other projects into account or doesn't leveling work at all? If the latter is the case, I can imagine several reasons why.

Hi togehter,

thanks for your help.

To the 1.:

Yes, I can see the load of the other Projects.

To 2.:

So I think, it is not changing some of the assignments, although the priority ot the actual opened Project is lower then the priority of the other Projects, which ar not opened.

It seems, that Project doesn't know the priority of the other Projects, but it nows the assignments of the other Projects.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Marc

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:16 AM
  • Hi Marc,

Project doesn't have to know the priority of the other projects, because their assignments will not move at all (if you want, their priority is infinite). There must be an other reason why some of your assignments do not move. Send me the file I'll tell you why. Project priority isn't an issue IMHO.

jandemesATprom-ade.be  (replacing AT by @)

Greetings,

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:45 AM