none
Replacing Faulty Tape Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our tape drive is acting up and I'd like to replace it. It's an IBM LTO Ultrium 5-H which is inside a Powervault TL4000.

I was wondering if it's just a straight swap or is there anything I need to do to make it work?  Is it just a case of giving the new tape drive the same name and IP address?

Any help would be appreciated.  We are using System Centre 2012.

Regards

Willie

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 9:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It should be a simple device replacement, but to help make it go smoothly I would follow these steps.

1) Wait for all DPM jobs to complete, and then exit the DPM console.
    2) Stop and disable the MSDPM service.
    3) Replace the drive in the library and verify the library sees it.
    4) In device manager on the DPM server, rescan devices and make sure the replacement tape drive is listed.  If not try rebooting.  Once the new drive is listed proceed.
    5) Re-enable MSDPM service and open the console.
    6) Go into management, Libraries, and perform a rescan and then check to see if the number of drives in the library match.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It should be a simple device replacement, but to help make it go smoothly I would follow these steps.

1) Wait for all DPM jobs to complete, and then exit the DPM console.
    2) Stop and disable the MSDPM service.
    3) Replace the drive in the library and verify the library sees it.
    4) In device manager on the DPM server, rescan devices and make sure the replacement tape drive is listed.  If not try rebooting.  Once the new drive is listed proceed.
    5) Re-enable MSDPM service and open the console.
    6) Go into management, Libraries, and perform a rescan and then check to see if the number of drives in the library match.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 8:18 PM
  • From prior practical experience where the tape media changer (library enclosure) was swapped and the drive remained the same - every tape backup job had to be touched and updated. In the SQL backend DB - the library and the various tape drives inside have specific device ids (without them how were DPM supposed to know which drive to use in multi drive libraries?)

If your tape backup jobs have specified all available tape drives ,it may not become am issue Else be prepared to possibly touch up the tape backup jobs after the drive swap.

Best regards

Sassan

Sassan Karai

Thursday, March 5, 2015 4:15 AM