none
How to uncheck the field 'Resource can logon to Project Server'? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using Project Server 2010.

I've been reading a lot of answers regarding this issue here, but I haven't found the right one, the reality is that I'm not able at all to uncheck the field 'Resource can logon to Project Server', so that in order to know how many licenses I'm using for Project Pro and/or Project Server access I cannot use Project Server, I have to do it outside (like an Excel file where I have a record of users that don't logon to project server).

The situation is very simple, I have some users that were filling up their timesheets, but now they have changed the department in the company and they do not need to fill up the timesheet, they do not need to access Project Server in any case, but I do not want them to be deactivated because we need to use them as resources in some projects (not generic rresources, because we know them and we want them in these tasks), on the other hand I do not want to loose the timesheets that they filled up before, when they were normal users.

Is there a clear solution for this issue, or just doesn't exist a solution in Project Server for this kind of situation? The licenses count is invalid in Project Server because they don't use the system, so their licenses can be used by other people, that are not users yet but could posibly be.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

José Espases

Thursday, June 7, 2012 11:01 AM

Answers

• This seems related to identifying the distinction between users and resources.  You can remove these folks from the appropriate user groups, and retain them as resources.  That would then disable their ability to log into Project Server.

Sounds simple, but it's a bit more complex if you're using AD synch either for the user groups or the resource list.  If you are using AD Synch, remove the users from the appropriate user groups in AD, and that should resolve the issue.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Marked as answer by José Espases Friday, June 8, 2012 10:15 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:02 PM

All replies

• This seems related to identifying the distinction between users and resources.  You can remove these folks from the appropriate user groups, and retain them as resources.  That would then disable their ability to log into Project Server.

Sounds simple, but it's a bit more complex if you're using AD synch either for the user groups or the resource list.  If you are using AD Synch, remove the users from the appropriate user groups in AD, and that should resolve the issue.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

• Marked as answer by José Espases Friday, June 8, 2012 10:15 AM
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your answer, but it doesn't work.

I don't have AD synch, and I have already removed the users from the security groups in project server, but the users still have the 'Resource can logon to Project Server' checked, the system doesn't pay attention to me when I unchecked this field, it keeps checking it again everytime, and the user counts as license in use.

It looks that once the user has been created there is no way to change it to only resource. The only way I have found is to check the user as Generic Resource, but this is not valid for me because it is not a generic resource, or deactivate the user, that again is not valid for me because in that case I won't be able to use the user as a resource.

Is it a bug in the system? Do I make a mistake? I keep checking for an answer but there is no clear answer for this issue.

Please, I will appreciate your help.

Regards,

José Espases

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Sorry Andrew,

I was mistaken, your suggested solution works fine, the user is not able anymore to log in and it is not counted as license in 'About Project Server' option in Server Settings, although the field 'Resource can logon to Project Server' is still checked.

Sorry again and thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

José Espases

Friday, June 8, 2012 10:15 AM
  • Hi all,

In my situation (Project Server 2010) I'm using AD sync for User and Resource synchronization. There are two groups in AD: TeamMembers and Resources. They are mapped appropriately: 1. TeamMembers (AD) > Team Members (Project Server); 2. Resources (AD) > Resource Pool Synchronization (Project Server).

I created the user in Active Directory and added its account to Resources (AD) group only . Then I initiate synchronization from Project Server using "Active Directory Resource pool Synchronization".

The problem is that after Resource sync, I see a Resource created in Resource center And new User created in Manage Users section. The user is added to Team Members group in Project Server also.

June 2012 CU is applied to the system.

Any ideas how to make sure that only Resource is created in Project Server after AD Resource pool sync?

Regards,

Vygantas

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Hi all ,

Will the inactive user also get counted for CAL license for PWA?

Thanks,

Rajkumar

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:10 AM
  • Hi Visitraj,

as far as I know they don't get counted as CAL licenses, but you can check it easily just changing the state of one user to Inactive and checking, before and after, the option Server Settings --> About Project Server, it will give you the number of Project Server users and Project Professional users.

Regards,

José Espases

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:26 AM