Slow download of files to selected users RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We're using MOSS 2007 as our knowledge management site. There are selected users who encounter this slow download problem out of our thousand users. These users have no problem accessing the MOSS site. However when they download any file, the data stream from the MOSS server is inconsistent. (Think that you're downloading a file from a website with a lousy connection; thats what the user is experiencing). These users are on the same network segments.

We suspect its a client issue as when we have the users to login from another desktop, they have no problem downloading the file quickly. When I login to their desktop, I also encounter the same problem.

Is there any desktop settings that I should check? The user is using WinXP SP3

Thanks

Friday, April 1, 2011 12:41 AM

Answers

• You have already done level 1 of troubleshooting.  Did you verify if their Desktops are patched up with latest Service Packs/Windows Updates?  Does the good desktop and slow desktop both are using same Anti-virus updates?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Monday, April 11, 2011 1:50 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 6:20 AM
  • If you think it's a bit tedious to check the workstation for the updates and the patches, an easier option would be to ask the users to login to any other machine with their account and do the exact same tasks. This should rule out if this is pertaining to a specific user profile. If it is not you can scope this more towards issues with the client machine.
    ~ Jeethu Joseph | Consultant ~ SharePoint |MCP,MCAD.Net,MCSD.Net,MCTS,A+| http://sharepointlogics.com/
    Monday, April 4, 2011 9:14 AM

All replies

• You have already done level 1 of troubleshooting.  Did you verify if their Desktops are patched up with latest Service Packs/Windows Updates?  Does the good desktop and slow desktop both are using same Anti-virus updates?

Thanks & Regards,
    Kamlesh | Blog | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 6:20 AM
  • I've yet to do that. Will revisit the user workstation later.
    Monday, April 4, 2011 3:45 AM
  • If you think it's a bit tedious to check the workstation for the updates and the patches, an easier option would be to ask the users to login to any other machine with their account and do the exact same tasks. This should rule out if this is pertaining to a specific user profile. If it is not you can scope this more towards issues with the client machine.
    ~ Jeethu Joseph | Consultant ~ SharePoint |MCP,MCAD.Net,MCSD.Net,MCTS,A+| http://sharepointlogics.com/
    Monday, April 4, 2011 9:14 AM