MDT 2013 update 2 and WDS on the same server in a domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

it seems that I don't understand it fully - MDT and WDS.

I'm running MDT 2013 update 2 and a WDS server role on Windows Server 2012 R2 and want to capture Windows 10 physical pc's and deploy these images to other computers in the netwerk.

Task sequencing and other stuff is not important for me at the moment.

I tested MDT in virtual envirnment (without wds installed) and it worked. I pxe booted my pc and came into the mdt menu, coould capture my physcal pc and made an image of the machine.

Now I installed WDS also and I can not get into the mdt manu any more. I made wds ready to deploy an image of Windows 10 and after pxe booting a pc it starts immediately with installing this Windows 10. 

I want to be able to choose that I want to capture with MDT or deploy with WDS. Is it possible or do I see it wrong (do I use it the wrong way). I found a lot of manuals on the internet, but none of them answer my questions. Also I tested it (not in vmware but in real life - the MDT without wds) and my pxe-boot did find the pxe "server" but didn't started the system and gave a pxe-time out. I changed the option 067 on the Windows Server 2012 R2 DC with DHCP (settings) to so many thing that I don't know what is correct anymore. Now it sais: boot\x64\pxeboot.n12 (and it boots into wds immediately). I want the pc's to pxe-boot in MDT to capture.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hi gorisbe, Not sure if you are still having this issue or not but I think you need to import the lite-touch boot wim for your MDT deployment share as a boot image in your WDS server. Once you add that as a boot image and one boot your machine you should have two boot options one being your MDT boot image and the other your WDS boot image. I think this will give you what you are looking for.
    Thursday, December 1, 2016 3:21 AM