Installing Windows 8 on Pentium 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I managed to install window 8 on my pentium 4 machine but once the computer restarted i got an error code :0x0000005D and i was wondering if there is anyway i can fix this problem or do i have to return to and older version of windows
    Monday, October 14, 2013 10:46 PM

Answers

• Pro_MG

It may be because your BIOS doesnt support "NX" read about it here

You can also Google the error code for other possible solutions

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:43 AM
  • ZZ is correct. Not all P4 support NX-Bit. You need at least a Prescott version. If you have an older version (Willamette, Northwood or Gallatin) you can't use Windows 8. Run CPU-Z and look at the code name which version you have:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:15 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Pro_MG

It may be because your BIOS doesnt support "NX" read about it here

You can also Google the error code for other possible solutions

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 12:43 AM
  • ZZ is correct. Not all P4 support NX-Bit. You need at least a Prescott version. If you have an older version (Willamette, Northwood or Gallatin) you can't use Windows 8. Run CPU-Z and look at the code name which version you have:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:15 AM
    Answerer
  • I've got a Cedarmill P4 and Asus P5PL2 mb. They supports NX Bit but you must enable it. Its default settings disabled it. I later found this BIOS settings at the Advanced CPU Settings and I installed Windows 8 at last...

So, you must check your BIOS first...

Sunday, April 20, 2014 9:37 AM
  • I have the prescott processor but still show for NX i go on bios settings i was unable to find nx,dx tere what can i do

Thursday, October 9, 2014 9:29 AM