none
Hyper-V Virtual Machines backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking into best approach for backing up Hyper-V machines running on premise. I have System Center 2012 DPM running and would like to utilize it to make reliable backups from which we can recreate the VMs if needed. 

My plan is to install DPM agent on the Hyper-V host machines and backup each VMs VHD or VHDX to local iSCSI drive mounted in SCDPM server and also to push recovery points to Azure storage for off site backup resolution. 

Please let me know if you have any experience with this setup or perhaps a better idea on how to approach that. 

Thanks,

Chris

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:02 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hey there
    It's a great idea, works very well and if you install the Hyper-V role where is the DPM you can recover individual items within the VHD or VHDX

Hope this can help you
    Cheers

Thursday, January 21, 2016 2:41 AM
  • Hi Sir,

Your idea is properly the best.

How ever, it is not necessary to install the Hyper-V role to extract/recover individual files from a *.VHD(x) and has not been sins Windows 2008 R2 (if I've remember correct).

It's only been easyer with Windows 2012 (+R2), where you just need to dobbelclick on the *.VHD(x).
    But the old method still works in 2012 (+R2).

Old:

http://blankmanblog.com/uncategorized/how-to-mount-or-attach-a-vhd-in-windows-2008-r2-and-windows-7/ 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 5:00 AM