none
Unable to install Project 03 on my new desktop - says needs earlier ID RRS feed

• Question

• I have project standard installed on my laptop. Just purchased a more powerful desktop. When I attempt to install Project on the computer it tells me it was an upgrade version and I must have the earlier ID as well. My guess is that was project 98 or something and that software was long culled from the stack. What can I do to install this?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:14 PM

Answers

• Hello nwyld,

If it is a lost product-id problem, pls try to find a free product ID browser utility on the internet. It may help you with finding the old product id stored in the system.

Regards. --Ismet
    • Marked as answer by nwyld Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:24 PM

All replies

• nwyld,

Your only real option is to buy the full version of Project. If Project 2003 is good enough for your needs you should be able to get a very reasonably priced full version from eBay or similar. However, if you need compatibility with other users I suggest you get Project 2010.

John

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Thanks, seems a waste of resources, 03 does what I need. Appreciate your response though.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:37 AM
  • John's advice is the best. Second best is to look again for the CD for the previous version you need to install the version you have. If you can't find it, then maybe you can buy another on eBay or similar that old version from someone to enable the CD you have to work.

Best to always keep CD's of software as having them sometimes comes in handy.

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:54 AM
  • Understood but you know if this were an Adobe product - of which I have a number - I could just contact them directly, at no charge, and they would solve the problem for me. They would have a record of my earlier purchase and just give me what I needed.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:22 PM
  • But Microsoft Project not an Adobe product, and you are asking here for help from other people just like you who are not Microsoft.  

The above approaches we suggested will work.  If you can't use these approachs, or won't use these approaches, then you can wait for more ideas here.

Or better yet, call Microsoft Support  and tell them what other manufacturers would do in similar circumstances and see if that helps them help you. 

--rms www.rmschneider.com
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:34 PM
  • I know. I was hoping there was some place on my computer that stored the earlier number. I appreciate the response. I just hate to have to pay for microsoft support to answer a question like this. thanks
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Hello nwyld,

If it is a lost product-id problem, pls try to find a free product ID browser utility on the internet. It may help you with finding the old product id stored in the system.

Regards. --Ismet
    • Marked as answer by nwyld Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:39 PM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Perfect, I will try that. thanks
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:22 PM