O365 Enforced Multi-Factor, App Passwords and Skype Mobile RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning

I have a Hybrid Skype environment. We are in the process of enforcing MFA per user in O365. We have noticed that this appears to break the Skype for Business for Mobile login. From the App Password section of O365, it pretty clearly states that App Passwords are required for Lync on mobile devices.

We have generated App Passwords, but we are still unable to sign into Skype for Business on mobile devices.

Is there something that needs to be done in the Skype environment itself in order to support the App Passwords? Most of the multi-factor info I'm seeing is related to Smart Cards, which we aren't interested in using. Or was there something that needs to be completed in ADFS in order to "permit" or "trust" Skype for App Passwords?

Friday, August 19, 2016 12:33 PM

All replies

• Just to add some additional information - the error we see on the mobile client is "We dcan't sign you in. Please check your account info and try again"

The errors in the client logs all point to auth issues:

<div id="header"><h1>Server Error</h1></div>
    <div id="content">
     <div class="content-container"><fieldset>
      <h2>401 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.</h2>
      <h3>You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.</h3>
     </fieldset></div>
    </div>

Additionally, I see that it is attempting using NTLM. I don't think that's right, since we are using app passwords? Can anyone confirm?

HttpHeader:date Fri, 19 Aug 2016 12:35:20 GMT
    HttpHeader:server Microsoft-HTTPAPI/2.0
    HttpHeader:StatusCode 401
    HttpHeader:strict-transport-security max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains
    HttpHeader:www-authenticate NTLM

Friday, August 19, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Hi Mr. Cross,

Thank you for your post. Sorry for our late because of the weekend.

And thanks a lot for sharing your troubleshooting to us. Regarding your question, I would like to suggest you refer to following document preferentially.

Skype for Business mobile users can't sign in when Modern Authentication is enabled

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3126604

Hope it helpful to you. Anything I can help or any result, feel free to tell me.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 11:26 AM