none
D-link wireless cards RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We were testing SteadyState with computers networked with D-Link WDA-2320 PCI Wifi cards. They work fine running as Administrator, and as a restricted user using Shared Computer Toolkit.  However, the card cuts out every minute or so when running as a restricted user with SteadyState. I've even dropped the restrictions from high to low to none on the account, and allowed users to write to the C:\ drive.  Allowing writes to the c:\ seemed to make disconnects happen less often, from 15 seconds to now once a minute.

Any ideas? Or should I just either go back to Shared Computer Toolkit or have the user run as Administrator and try to lock that account down.

Thanks!

-- G
    Friday, August 17, 2007 3:24 PM

Answers

• I only set this up on one machine so far. The event log doesn't show anything related to this, nothing pops up on the screen.

I suspect its an issue with one of the ANI programs that come with the driver if you install off of the D-Link install CD.  Uninstalling SteadyState fixes the issue for the limited account. Reinstalling SteadyState reintroduces it.  Using the guest account causes one of the ANI programs (ANIOservice) to send out an error on logon, and continues with the cutting out every so often.

I ended up uninstalling the D-Link drivers, and related programs(ANI utilities, RangerBooster), and then letting windows xp find the driver via Add New Hardware. This seems to be working fine, and is what I am proceeding with.

--
    G
    Monday, August 20, 2007 7:47 PM

All replies

•  

Hi Gigantor,

Did  this issue occur on any other computers? Is there any error message when problem occurs? If so, please let me know the error message we encountered.

We can temporarily disable Windows SteadyState Service to check if the issue is caused by the SteadyState service:

1. Click Start, go to Run, and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Services tab then uncheck the check box before “Windows SteadyState Service”.

3. Click the Startup tab and click Disable All and click OK.

4. Restart the computer. Please check if this issue persists.

Best Regards,

Monday, August 20, 2007 9:04 AM
  • I only set this up on one machine so far. The event log doesn't show anything related to this, nothing pops up on the screen.

I suspect its an issue with one of the ANI programs that come with the driver if you install off of the D-Link install CD.  Uninstalling SteadyState fixes the issue for the limited account. Reinstalling SteadyState reintroduces it.  Using the guest account causes one of the ANI programs (ANIOservice) to send out an error on logon, and continues with the cutting out every so often.

I ended up uninstalling the D-Link drivers, and related programs(ANI utilities, RangerBooster), and then letting windows xp find the driver via Add New Hardware. This seems to be working fine, and is what I am proceeding with.

--
    G
    Monday, August 20, 2007 7:47 PM
  • Hello Customer,

I agree with you, this is a compatibility issue between Windows SteadyState and the D-link wireless cards driver additional programs.

You uninstall the ANI programs which comes with D-link wireless cards driver resolved this issue. When installing the device driver from Add New Hardware wizard, the Windows XP will only install the device driver without any additional applications.

Thank you for sharing your resolution.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:24 AM
  • Just in case anyone else is searching for this issue, here is what D-Link Technical Support had to say:

Kindly try the following troubleshooting steps.

Navigate to DEVICE MANAGER. Select VIEW from the menus and click SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES.
    Open the new device group labeled 'Non Plug and Play Drivers'. Double click
    'ANIO Service'. Select the DRIVER tab. In the dropdown menu labeled 'Startup Type'
    change the startup from 'ON DEMAND' to 'SYSTEM'. This will allow the service to run
    before user logins, eliminating the problem of the previous administrator only network.

In case if the issue still persist, it would be best if you interact with a live technician to resolve the issue.

I did not follow these instructions, but they sound like they may work. I just let windows xp deal with it as described previously.

--
    G
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:52 PM
  • The information will be very helpful to anyone else who encountered similar problems. Thanks again for your valuable sharing.

Regards,

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:01 AM