App-V force refresh if no user is logged on? RRS feed

• Question

• Let me start from the beginning so nobody is lost.

So, we're planning a migration from App-v 4.2 to 4.5 (or 4.6 if its out in time) and I've been doing some testing to make sure everything works fine for our migration. The only problem is with reporting. With 4.2, the client reported when the app was opened, but in 4.5 and up, it reports on the NEXT logon. For us this is a problem because we use deepfreeze in our environment and that data is not present on the next logon.

After ALOT of digging, we figured out that app-v creates a key in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\Client\Reporting) that contains the location of the xml reporting file. Now, we've redirected this file to a "Thawed" partition so its not lost, but as is turns out, app-v randomly generates that key's name on the first logon after a clean install, thus we have multiple xml files.

So, ultimate question is, Is it possible to trigger a publishing refresh on system startup without a user being logged in?

Thanks, and hope this all makes sense.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 9:35 PM

Answers

• Yes I did actually. Instead of trying to force the machine to pre-cache, we use the msi generated by the sequencer and just push that out to our machines. When they run that msi, they cache the package to 100%.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Can't you set it to refresh every few a hours (requires a user login as far as I know)?

/Znack
    Monday, February 1, 2010 5:03 AM
  • I could, but since this is for a student computer lab, its possible that a computer could go for a week unused and thus our weekly reporting would be incomplete. Not to mention that within the scope of a few hours, one machine could have had as many as a dozen users
    Monday, February 1, 2010 2:38 PM
  • Hello, did you find a solution to this?

We have a package more than 2gb. and we will upgrade this package. So, more than 1000 users will try to cache the new version on Monday at 8:00 am! I want to do this manually before the users log on if possible.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:29 AM
  • Yes I did actually. Instead of trying to force the machine to pre-cache, we use the msi generated by the sequencer and just push that out to our machines. When they run that msi, they cache the package to 100%.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 11:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:23 PM