ALL mail flow stopped on Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• This morning our mail flow stopped on Exchange 2016 server.  Internal and External and even internally among internal users.  mail would sit in the drafts and though we have items in sent items but it showed empty.   We had enough disk space and processing power and memory.  Nothing was logged in the application or system logs in the event viewer.  It was down for about 45 minutes and then fixed itself.   No NDRs were sent to the senders from the internet so I knew the mail is hiding somewhere on the exchange 2016.   Once it worked all mail flooded in.

How do I disable back pressure on exchange 2016?  What could have caused this?

Thank you

Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:01 PM

Answers

• Thank you for all the replies.  Actually the issue was caused due to extremely low disk space on c:\drive. Assigning more space fixed the matter
    • Marked as answer by WildPacket Friday, March 2, 2018 2:27 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 2:27 AM

All replies

• check your (DMZ) Firewall?

Chris

Thursday, January 18, 2018 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Exchange forum.

It’s recommended to use Message Header Analyzer to analysis the message header and check in which step the message were stuck.

For managing this feature, we need to edit it’s configuration file. Remember to Stop the Microsoft Exchange Transport service before editing, then save the configurations and start it again. By default, it is located in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\EdgeTransport.exe.config

Though the option exists it is not recommended to actually disable resource monitoring. Instead the recommended approach is to identify the cause of resource over-utilization and correct it.

Back pressure events:

Event ID 15004: Increase in the utilization level for any resource (eg from Normal to Medium)

Event ID 15005: Decrease in the utilization level for any resource (eg from High to Medium)

Event ID 15006: High utilization for disk space (ie critically low free disk space)

Event ID 15007: High utilization for memory (ie critically low available memory)

Per my experience, the possible causes could be the backpressure issue or Exchange transport service isn’t running correctly or large messages with large attachments incoming or DB corrupt.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Friday, February 2, 2018 1:58 AM
    Friday, January 19, 2018 7:19 AM
  • i suggest you only have a single exchange box running, so no HA available.

for your question, there isn't a "here you go" answer. as you have to point out which application produced the massive load onto your exchange, that transport was suspended.

i suggest to check the available logs (in your exchange install directory) and the ETW Eventlogs from exchange.

Friday, January 19, 2018 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

I am currently standing by for further update from you and would like to know how things are going. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me know. And if the replies has helped you, please help to mark as answer and it could be helpful for others.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Jason Chao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Jason.Chao Wednesday, February 7, 2018 8:17 AM
    Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Thank you for all the replies.  Actually the issue was caused due to extremely low disk space on c:\drive. Assigning more space fixed the matter
    • Marked as answer by WildPacket Friday, March 2, 2018 2:27 AM
    Friday, March 2, 2018 2:27 AM