Service Accounts in Lync RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

Has anybody any good ideas why Microsoft says "Lync does not required any service accounts" and then in next sentence: "At a minimum, you need to create one Kerberos authentication account for each deployment". No need to say, it is not service account :)

Somehow I thought the Kerberos should be the primary authentication method in the AD. But has Microsoft change their thoughts about the Kerberos? That should not be the primary authentication mode anymore?

But if this question will be moved further, can this Kerberos account be a "service account"? Which password is changed automatically?

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:18 PM

Answers

• I haven't had any exposure to the "one Kerberos authentication account for each deployment" mention in the last few deployments, but I do know now that the RTCService, RTCComponentService etc service accounts are now gone.

All Lync services run under the NT Authority\Network Service account and there are no requirements to set up any accounts for Lync.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Marked as answer by Petri X Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:56 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:56 PM

All replies

• I haven't had any exposure to the "one Kerberos authentication account for each deployment" mention in the last few deployments, but I do know now that the RTCService, RTCComponentService etc service accounts are now gone.

All Lync services run under the NT Authority\Network Service account and there are no requirements to set up any accounts for Lync.

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @jm_deluxe
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Marked as answer by Petri X Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:56 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 4:56 PM
  • Have you tried to implement the monitoring server, that is the next place where you need the account :-D

--

Petri

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:56 PM