.NET updates and Office 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I run WSUS 4.0 on my 2012 R2 server. I haven't seen .NET security\critical updates in the past few months. Feature Packs is selected under Classifications and my synchronizations are working.

Are .NET updates now treated as part of the "Security Only Quality Update for Windows x" and "Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows xx"?

If I go to windows update on some of my servers, as opposed to using WSUS, I see a "2018-02 Security and Quality .NET Framework..." update available. However, I don't see that update on on my WSUS server for February when I look at declined, approved, not approved. The last one I have a record of in WSUS is January of 2018. I am stumped and feel like I missed a memo.

We just started rolling out Office 2016 on a limited basis, we download and install it (Office 2016) from our O365 portal. So, I am confused. Would this be considered Office 2016 or Office 365 client in Products? I heard that WSUS doesn't support patching the Office 365 client and you must use SCCM. My WSUS server has all the Office 2016 updates downloaded but none of my machines report as needing Office 2016 updates.

My Office 2016 clients are installed from our Office 365 portal (Office 365ProPlus), not via VL Media from the VSLC. So, I guess that means we need to use Configuration Manager or the "built-in" update feature that comes with the install?
    • Edited by Jack Leidu Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:39 PM More Information
    Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:20 AM

Answers

• OK, I got the .NET updates for this month. I was under the impression (not sure why) that the .NET critical\security updates were something released on a monthly basis (similar to the monthly Security and Quality Rollup updates for the various OS versions). It looks like they only come out every 3 or 4 months based on what I am seeing on my WSUS server.

And I see that Office 2016 c2r (aka O365's Office 2016) cannot be patched via WSUS. So, I need to use SCCM or our I could also use our PDQ Deploy product.

• Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:36 PM

All replies

• Customers will not receive the January 2018 security updates (or any successive security updates) and will not be protected from security vulnerabilities unless their antivirus software sets the following registry key:

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat" Value="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" Type="REG_DWORD”
    Data="0x00000000”

So it's essential to check the above registry settings.

Further Ref:

Security Only update for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, and 4.7.1 updates for Windows Server 2012 (KB 4055270)

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, May 3, 2018 3:33 AM
  • Hello. I am getting the Windows security updates for my systems...that is not the issue. Example: When I look in my wsus console I see the "Security Only Quality Update for Windows x" and "Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows xx". Also, my systems have the reg key you mention....that was already in place prior to the spectre\meltdown stuff.

However, I am not getting the .NET security stuff since February (January was the last time WSUS downloaded .NET updates). Were there no .NET updates for March and April? I don't see any when I google or go directly to windows update.

Thursday, May 3, 2018 2:35 PM
  • OK, I got the .NET updates for this month. I was under the impression (not sure why) that the .NET critical\security updates were something released on a monthly basis (similar to the monthly Security and Quality Rollup updates for the various OS versions). It looks like they only come out every 3 or 4 months based on what I am seeing on my WSUS server.

And I see that Office 2016 c2r (aka O365's Office 2016) cannot be patched via WSUS. So, I need to use SCCM or our I could also use our PDQ Deploy product.

• Marked as answer by Jack Leidu Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:36 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 11:36 PM