none
Convert administrator account to standard account RRS feed

• Question

• So I am sure everyone is familiar with the way that MDT 2013 creates an Administrator account to capture and deploy images. 

My problem is that I could never figure out a way to have MDT convert the admin account it creates to a standard account. We need this for legacy reasons. I actually tried capturing a reference image with the 2 local accounts in it that I needed, one was a manually created admin account and one was a manually created standard account, but no matter what I did MDT always creates an administrator account to do what it needs to do. I tried to have it use the admin account I had already created but I had no luck with it. It seemed very stubborn.

FYI these are local accounts that I need. The computers we image are not joined to any domain. We need one admin account and one standard account. Has anyone had any luck doing what I am trying to do?

Thanks

Friday, May 20, 2016 6:47 PM

Answers

• to create the image, i dont create any accounts, i use the built-in admin account. in Attend.xml, you can create another standard account. during applying the image, you can rename and disable the local admin account.

hope that helps unless we are talking about 2 different subjects.

Best Sam ------------------------------------------------ Please mark as answered if this solves your issue

• Marked as answer by MikeyB202 Friday, May 20, 2016 8:54 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 6:58 PM

All replies

• to create the image, i dont create any accounts, i use the built-in admin account. in Attend.xml, you can create another standard account. during applying the image, you can rename and disable the local admin account.

hope that helps unless we are talking about 2 different subjects.

Best Sam ------------------------------------------------ Please mark as answered if this solves your issue

• Marked as answer by MikeyB202 Friday, May 20, 2016 8:54 PM
    Friday, May 20, 2016 6:58 PM
  • What fields do you modify within the attended.xml to create the account? Can you please specify?
    Friday, May 20, 2016 7:37 PM
  • Also, when you say "to create the image, I dont create any accounts, I use the built-in admin account"

Are you saying you don't login to the OS with an administrator account? How do you customize your reference image if you just "use the built-in administrator" account?

Friday, May 20, 2016 7:40 PM
  • if use Windows Image system manager, amd64-ms-windows-shell-setup_neutral \UserAccounts \ local accounts. you add it to OOBE pass. right click and choose create a new account.

if you are just opening the unattend.xml then use this template

<UserAccounts>
       <LocalAccounts>
          <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
             <Password>
                <Value>cAB3AFAAYQBzAHMAdwBvAHIAZAA</Value>
                <PlainText>false</PlainText>
             </Password>
             <Description>Test account</Description>
             <DisplayName>Admin/Power User Account</DisplayName>
             <Group>Administrators;Power Users</Group>
             <Name>Test1</Name>
          </LocalAccount>
          <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
             <Password>
                <Value>cABhAHMAcwB3AG8AcgBkAFAAYQBzAHMAdwBvAHIAZAA=</Value>
                <PlainText>false</PlainText>
             </Password>
             <Description>For testing</Description>
             <DisplayName>Admin Account</DisplayName>
             <Group>Administrators</Group>
             <Name>Test2</Name>
          </LocalAccount>
       </LocalAccounts>
    </UserAccounts>

Friday, May 20, 2016 8:40 PM
  • when you first install the image, Microsoft forces you to create an account. first thing you do after windows is installed before do anything is you open cmd and net user administrator /active:yes then you reboot and sign in as administrator. delete the account you created when you installed windows including files and the registry key if you find one has your user name HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. customize.

this way you will not run into errors when you sysprep.

Friday, May 20, 2016 8:46 PM
  • Thank you so much Sam, you have no idea how long I've been trying to get this to work with our environment account setups. 

Friday, May 20, 2016 8:54 PM
  • no problem. good luck. just remember to go to WISM and in amd64-ms-windows-shell-setup_neutral Specialize Pass, change "Copy Profile" to true so yous customization will stick.

Friday, May 20, 2016 9:00 PM
  • Will do. Thank you again, this is a huge help.
    Friday, May 20, 2016 9:04 PM