Application dependency on MS Office RRS feed

• Question

• History:
    My application is tightly integrated with Office (specially Excel). One part of the application launches an xls file and it should be opened with any program associated with this extension. The application developer told me that they are not calling excel or open office or anything inside there application while launching the .xls file.

Problem:
    My users have all the flavors of Office (Office 2002, 2003 and 2007) and my virtual application works only with the version which is pre-installed on the sequencer machine. Hence if I sequence this application with Office 2007 installed locally, then it fails to open the .xls file on machine (while streaming) having Office 2002 or Office 2003. I have set this tag in OSD: <LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED>TRUE</LOCAL_INTERACTION_ALLOWED> but it always triggers self-healing of Office which is locally installed. After self-healing, the “not enough memory to start excel” message pops-up.

Question:
    What is the best way to sequence such applications? The application uses a 3rd party software which require excel while installation. So I cannot sequence on a machine with no office installed.

Thanks for your time.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:55 PM

Answers

• Pretty old issue but I found the solution ultimately.

The culprit was "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18" key which has lot of Office components key. I deleted the Components hive under it and the application worked with all the versions of Excel.

TIA.

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Is there any captured information in regards to the FTA?

/Znack
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 1:58 PM
  • Here is the registry key from virtual application which works with excel 2002 and 2007 but fails with 2003:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\021358C6B5D81D110A3C000A9C502477]
    "9040110900063D11C8EF00054038389C"="%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\\ShellNew\\EXCEL9.XLS"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\50CE92CC2CB71D119A12000A9CE1A22A]
    "9040110900063D11C8EF00054038389C"="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\Samples\\SAMPLES.XLS"

There is no other FTA information in the registry. The package does not capture anything from HKCR\.xls\*

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Hello,

So with a 2003 installation those files doesn't exist ?

How would those keys look like if you sequenced it with 2003 natively installed?

/Znack
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:23 PM
  • I mean its same. The keys which I mentioned earlier are the only keys which has .xls in them. And they are same in 2003 package.

What I think is, this is going in wrong direction. Shouldn't the sequencer just launch the .xls with the associated program on the local machine when Local Interaction is set to True. Moreover there is no FTA registry for .xls.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Hello,

It should, but I suppose if it did this thread wouldn't be started.

If you do a procmon while performing the actions in the sequenced application where the office 2003 is available - what is shown then?

Considering that no FTAs are captured I would assume that just about anything would be relevant and worth looking into.

/Znack
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 2:34 PM
  • I have captured the actions using procmon right from the point when my application tries to open the .xls file till the point when excel goes for self-healing. I am now looking into it.

Is it possible I send it to you via some private message (if that option is available, I don;t know)?

TIA

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Hello,

You can try to upload it somewhere, but haven't you looked at it first?

/Znack
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Ok, I have the information from Procmon.

The application uses Infragistics ultrawingrid control (as per procmon), and this dll is extensively called when the data from this grid is EXPORTED to Excel:

Infragistics2.Excel.v8.1.dll
    IRP_MJ_READ
    Offset: 294,912, Length: 4,096, I/O Flags: Non-cached, Paging I/O, Synchronous Paging I/O

The export functionality copies the xls file to Temp folder and launch from there. Here are some of the entries from procmon:

IRP_MJ_QUERY_INFORMATION C:\Temp\MyFile.xls SUCCESS Type: QueryNameInformationFile, Name: \Temp\MyFile.xls
    RegOpenKey Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer SUCCESS  Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey Drive\shellex\FolderExtensions    NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Enumerate Sub Keys
    RegOpenKey HKCR\Drive\shellex\FolderExtensions   SUCCESS  Desired Access: Enumerate Sub Keys
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Drive\shellex\FolderExtensions NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey Drive\shellex\FolderExtensions\{fbeb8a05-beee-4442-804e-409d6c4515e9} NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey HKCR\Drive\shellex\FolderExtensions\{fbeb8a05-beee-4442-804e-409d6c4515e9} SUCCESS Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Drive\shellex\FolderExtensions\{fbeb8a05-beee-4442-804e-409d6c4515e9} NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer SUCCESS Desired Access: Query Value
    RegQueryValue AllowFileCLSIDJunctions     NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegOpenKey FileExts      SUCCESS  Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey .xls       SUCCESS  Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegQueryValue Progid       NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegOpenKey .xls       SUCCESS Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegQueryValue Application      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegOpenKey .xls       NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey HKCR\.xls      SUCCESS Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\.xls    NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegQueryValue (Default)      SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 28, Data: Excel.Sheet.8
    RegOpenKey Excel.Sheet.8      NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey HKCR\Excel.Sheet.8     SUCCESS Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Excel.Sheet.8   NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Excel.Sheet.8\ShellEx\IconHandler NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey ShellEx\IconHandler     NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey SystemFileAssociations\.xls    NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey HKCR\SystemFileAssociations\.xls   SUCCESS Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\.xls\ShellEx\IconHandler NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey ShellEx\IconHandler     NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey .xls       NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey HKCR\.xls      SUCCESS Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\.xls    NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegQueryValue PerceivedType      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Excel.Sheet.8   NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegQueryValue DocObject      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\.xls NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegQueryValue DocObject      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegQueryValue BrowseInPlace      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\SystemFileAssociations\.xls NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegQueryValue BrowseInPlace      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Excel.Sheet.8\Clsid  NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey Clsid       SUCCESS Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey HKCU\Software\Classes\Excel.Sheet.8\CLSID  NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    RegQueryValue (Default)      SUCCESS Type: REG_SZ, Length: 78, Data: {00020820-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
    RegOpenKey CLSID\{00020820-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Implemented Categories\{00021490-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegOpenKey HKCR\CLSID\{00020820-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Implemented Categories\{00021490-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Query Value
    RegQueryValue IsShortcut      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegQueryValue IsShortcut      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegQueryValue AlwaysShowExt      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegQueryValue AlwaysShowExt      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegQueryValue NeverShowExt      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegQueryValue NeverShowExt      NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    RegCreateKey Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders SUCCESS Desired Access: Maximum Allowed
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Hello,

I suppose the;
    Excel.Sheet.8

Is not defined within the virtual environment?

Anything virtualized within the HKCR ?

/Znack

Wednesday, June 24, 2009 8:15 PM
  • The key related to "Excel.Sheet.8" is outside the virtual environment. I haven't used any such keys in HKCR.

Should this go inside the package?
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 9:04 PM
  • Hello,

Wether to include or not to include in the virtual environment is the question.
    I suppose all keys there are local keys, so I was wondering why it gives you so many not found, is there anything virtualized (AT ALL) in the HKCR?

As you stated earlier you probably want to keep any FTA associated information outside of the virtual-package to not become dependt on any specific version of Office.

/Znack

Thursday, June 25, 2009 4:42 AM
  • I narrowed down the issue and found that my virtual application was not able to see Excel if it was not present on the sequencer machine. So I added the Office path of all 3 versions in the OSD. Now the application is able to launch excel. At the same time, new problems started. When excel is launched by the application, some messages like:

1. "Microsoft Excel can'r run this add-in. This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?"
    2. "An error occured initializing the VBA libraries (1004)"

appears. I then use procmon again to see where its going wrong. I found that Excel is launched from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\... correctly but it's then looking inside the virtual environment for the .pip, .xlb etc files. And that's the reason I think my application think that excel has not been launched even once and since there are nothing inside hte virtual env (addins etc), it throw these errors. Here are some of the strings from procmon:

EXCEL.EXE RegOpenKey Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders SUCCESS Desired Access: Read/Write
    EXCEL.EXE RegQueryValue AppData SUCCESS Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ, Length: 62, Data: %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
    EXCEL.EXE CreateFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Office\Excel11.pip SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Sequential Access, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Open No Recall, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    EXCEL.EXE ReadFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Office\Excel11.pip SUCCESS Offset: 0, Length: 12
    EXCEL.EXE ReadFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Office\Excel11.pip SUCCESS Offset: 12, Length: 1,544
    EXCEL.EXE QueryNameInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Office\Excel11.pip SUCCESS Name: \MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Office\Excel11.pip
    EXCEL.EXE CloseFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Office\Excel11.pip SUCCESS
    EXCEL.EXE RegOpenKey Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\11.0 NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read
    EXCEL.EXE RegOpenKey BaseSuite SUCCESS Desired Access: Read/Write
    EXCEL.EXE RegQueryValue A2B280D420FB472099F740C09FBCE10A SUCCESS Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 1
    EXCEL.EXE RegOpenKey Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read/Write
    EXCEL.EXE RegQueryValue MsoTbCust SUCCESS Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 8
    EXCEL.EXE QueryOpen Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb FAST IO DISALLOWED
    EXCEL.EXE CreateFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    EXCEL.EXE QueryBasicInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb FAST IO DISALLOWED
    EXCEL.EXE QueryBasicInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS CreationTime: 6/23/2009 1:49:38 PM, LastAccessTime: 6/23/2009 1:49:38 PM, LastWriteTime: 6/23/2009 1:49:09 PM, ChangeTime: 6/23/2009 1:49:09 PM, FileAttributes: A
    EXCEL.EXE CloseFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS
    EXCEL.EXE QueryOpen Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb FAST IO DISALLOWED
    EXCEL.EXE CreateFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS Desired Access: Read Attributes, Disposition: Open, Options: Open Reparse Point, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    EXCEL.EXE QueryBasicInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb FAST IO DISALLOWED
    EXCEL.EXE QueryBasicInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS CreationTime: 6/23/2009 1:49:38 PM, LastAccessTime: 6/23/2009 1:49:38 PM, LastWriteTime: 6/23/2009 1:49:09 PM, ChangeTime: 6/23/2009 1:49:09 PM, FileAttributes: A
    EXCEL.EXE CloseFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS
    EXCEL.EXE CreateFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read/Write, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    EXCEL.EXE QueryStandardInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb FAST IO DISALLOWED
    EXCEL.EXE QueryStandardInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS AllocationSize: 12,288, EndOfFile: 10,377, NumberOfLinks: 0, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    EXCEL.EXE QueryStandardInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb FAST IO DISALLOWED
    EXCEL.EXE QueryStandardInformationFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS AllocationSize: 12,288, EndOfFile: 10,377, NumberOfLinks: 0, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    EXCEL.EXE ReadFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS Offset: 0, Length: 2
    EXCEL.EXE ReadFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS Offset: 2, Length: 2
    EXCEL.EXE ReadFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS Offset: 4, Length: 16
    EXCEL.EXE ReadFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS Offset: 20, Length: 2
    EXCEL.EXE RegOpenKey Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Toolbars NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read/Write
    EXCEL.EXE RegOpenKey Toolbars SUCCESS Desired Access: Read/Write
    EXCEL.EXE RegQueryValue BtnSize NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    EXCEL.EXE RegOpenKey Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common\Toolbars NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read/Write
    EXCEL.EXE RegQueryValue Transparency NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    EXCEL.EXE RegQueryValue AdaptiveMenus SUCCESS Type: REG_DWORD, Length: 4, Data: 0
    EXCEL.EXE RegQueryValue AutoExpandMenus NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    EXCEL.EXE RegQueryValue Tooltips NAME NOT FOUND Length: 144
    EXCEL.EXE ReadFile Q:\MYAPP001.001\VFS\CSIDL_APPDATA\Microsoft\Excel\Excel11.xlb SUCCESS Offset: 22, Length: 10,355

So my question is, how do I ensure Excel NOT to look inside the virtual environment to load and use all the settings from real machine? BTW, my App Data key in virtual registry is set to %CSIDL_APPDATA%. Please help.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:13 PM
  • Hello,

You really lost me, but I believe that you could either exclude the folder that you don't want virtualize (I suppose %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Excel?)

Or delete it post-sequencing....

/Znack
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Thanks I will give this a shot.

I also have in virtual registry:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options

keys. Shall I set them "Override Local Key"? This is where excel loads its add-ins from.
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 6:25 PM
  • Hi Znack,

I did what you suggested but when my application tries to launch .xls file, this happens:

Self-healing of excel 2003 started. The event viewer says:

Detection of product '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'EXCELFiles' failed during request for component '{A2B280D4-20FB-4720-99F7-40C09FBCE10A}'

Now I check the Pro11.msi and found that key path for this component is set to Excel.exe, which is already present locally. So the self-repair goes on and when it completes, the excel opens up with proper information from application but then immediately throws following errors:

1.  "An error occured initializing the VBA libraries (1004)"
    2. Microsoft Excel has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application.

I press Ok and excel quits.

Any clues here please?

BTW, I also tried to launch excel via pre launch script and that opens it without any issues. But via application, this is driving me crazy with above mentioned issue.

Thanks for your help so far.

Friday, June 26, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Hello,

Well, as I asked before;
    Is there anything captured in HKCR?

You lost me at the last posts, so I have no idea what you have done so far.
    (or, well yeah you lost me..)
    How is excel installed - what is virtual and what isn't? How have you executed the pre-launch-script?

When you sequence the application, what is captured? Why is there suddenly stuff in  excels %APPDATA% folder?

What does the application lay down?

I would sit down for a while and really think about what I want included in the sequence, how I want excel to interact and how I should go about it...

/Znack
    Friday, June 26, 2009 4:43 PM
  • The HKLM\Software\Classes does not have any information related to office or excel. I just search with these keywords and there is not a single reference. It has information related to controls which get installed with the application.

Do you know if these keys are really important:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\69C2DDA87B8C1D11C97600008FF1B183]
    "00000000000000000000000000000000"="01:\\Software\\Microsoft\\Office\\10.0\\Excel\\UserData"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\884DFC9347446034F85A6145C44FBD1B]
    "00002109020090400000000000F01FEC"="02:\\Software\\Microsoft\\Office\\12.0\\User Settings\\Excel_Intl\\Count"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\F17DAFC40CE3BDA4DA5BD0E651973510]
    "00002109020090400000000000F01FEC"="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\\Microsoft Office\\Office12\\excelcnv.exe"

I see lot of Office keys under this UserData Component hive but cant make out if they are okay to leave as-is or what?

For your other questions, the Office 2002 was present locally when application was sequenced. The application is  .NET based and it has a 3rd party control which transfer its data to excel and launches it.

Thanks
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:37 PM
  • One more thing I would like to ask is, what is the best way to sequence an application if its dependent on all the version of Office?
    During sequencing, only one version can exist locally. Do we need to launch excel during sequencing? If we do that, won't it fail other versions?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:50 PM
  • Hello,

Yeah, any key relating to the office-installation might interfer with the actual usage. I am still not sure exactly on how you have decided to sequence or not sequence Excel, as it seems you have loads of office-keys in your sequence.

Are they created by office or the main program? (why is there both keys from v10 and v12?)

/Znack
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:57 PM
  • Znack, hope you had a good weekend.

I think this is getting messy so I am planning to start fresh. I just sequence my application on machine having Office 2002 installed, but I never launched Excel. Now I have just one key related to Excel.exe:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Components\282D27555E5F3D118A8E000680F38D3D]
    "9040110900063D11C8EF00054038389C"="%CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\EXCEL.EXE"

Now I need this to work with Office 2007 as well. What should I do now?

Thanks

Monday, June 29, 2009 4:09 PM
  • Hello,

I am not sure, why is this key relevant?

You could set an environment variable on the client depending on which version they had installed and change the path to that variable...
    /Znack
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:20 PM
  • Ok. I will remove this key and see if that helps.

In the OSD, I have set the PATH environment variable to all the versions of Office...so whatever is installed will be picked up for excel.exe.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 8:22 PM
  • Hello,

Ran into the same issue and found the following:

Recreate the following directory (natively):
    %PROGRAMFILES%\Microsoft\VBA\VBE6

Place vba6.dll in there and the folder 1033 (and make sure users have read).

Issue disappears.

Haven't located why this happens, but thats where I stand at the moment.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, October 19, 2009 4:06 PM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:05 PM
  • Thanks Znack. Let me give it a shot and see how it goes.

Regards

Monday, October 19, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Pretty old issue but I found the solution ultimately.

The culprit was "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18" key which has lot of Office components key. I deleted the Components hive under it and the application worked with all the versions of Excel.

TIA.

Friday, March 26, 2010 5:28 PM