SCCM R2 questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I just "upgraded" to SCCM R2 in my test environment.

Everything went as planned but I do have a couple of questions.

1.) I don't see any packages to deploy to secondaries or clients like I did when I upgraded to CU 03. So how do I upgrade them?

2.) I noticed that my PE's upgraded from 6.2 to 6.3, everything seemed to link just fine except I don't see any of the special drivers I had embeded into the 6.2 PE. Is that normal?

3.) Should we be deploying ConfigMgr with the original version or the newest version when we do OSD'd. Right now they get the original and then wait to get upgraded so just wondering if we couldn't deploy the latest version with new or refreshes?

Thanks,

• Edited by jamicon Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:50 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:50 PM

Answers

• #1: I haven't got a CM12R2 console next to me right now, but can't you just right-click a secondary and select "upgrade"?
    #2: yes
    #3: the R2 client automatically be installed during OSD, because the client sources are updated and that default package is updated on all DPs, too.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by jamicon Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:51 PM
    Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:08 PM
  • I just have a few additional comments to Torsten's answer;

1. All clients should be upgraded (reinstalled) to the R2 version, and you can use any method you prefer. The update packages are only available for CU updates. Not Service Packs and other major updates like R2.

2. Windows PE 6.2 is based on Windows 8, and Windows PE 6.3 is based on Windows 8.1. So it is important that you only add new drivers to you new boot image, that is supported by Windows 8.1 (no matter what OS you want to deploy).

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: www.ronnipedersen.com/ and www.SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:44 PM

All replies

• #1: I haven't got a CM12R2 console next to me right now, but can't you just right-click a secondary and select "upgrade"?
    #2: yes
    #3: the R2 client automatically be installed during OSD, because the client sources are updated and that default package is updated on all DPs, too.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:08 PM
  • I just have a few additional comments to Torsten's answer;

1. All clients should be upgraded (reinstalled) to the R2 version, and you can use any method you prefer. The update packages are only available for CU updates. Not Service Packs and other major updates like R2.

2. Windows PE 6.2 is based on Windows 8, and Windows PE 6.3 is based on Windows 8.1. So it is important that you only add new drivers to you new boot image, that is supported by Windows 8.1 (no matter what OS you want to deploy).

Ronni Pedersen | Microsoft MVP - ConfigMgr | Blogs: www.ronnipedersen.com/ and www.SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Thursday, October 24, 2013 4:44 PM