none
boot problem after replacing (after cloning) the Windows disk with a new bigger disk RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows 7 64 bit system has windows7 installed on a 128 Gb ssd (called disk-a).
    In addition two more sata HDD disks exist configured as raid (called disk-b and disk-c).
    I cloned the ssd 128 Gb disk-a to a bigger one (SSD 500 GB, disk-d).

Then I detached disk-a from the power cable and data cable and attached disk-d instead to the same cables.
    Unfortunately now the system refuses to boot.
    When changing back to disk-a it boots as before normally again.
    As long as disk-d, disk-b, disk-c only are attached the error message states that a necessary device is not available and recommends to start the windows repair console from CD/DVD.
    If both SSDs and HDDs are attached then boot is normal (OS loaded obviously from from disk-a).

I have seen in computer management that a 100MB system partition exists on SATA disk-b.
    On disk-a and on cloned replacement disk-d no system partition or MBR exist.
    What can I do to simply replace disk-a with the cloned disk-d ? Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:00 PM

All replies

• It looks like your system was not properly installed on the SSD.  If your system is not configure for UEFI boot the system disk should have a 100MB System Reserved partition with the primary boot information and then the operating system on separate partition utilizing the rest of the SSD.

If you use UEFI boot the 100MB partition should be EFI System Partition and the rest of the SSD for the operating system.

Since your SSD is not properly configure, I'm not sure how you would go about reconfiguring your SSD.  You may have to do a clean install on the 500GB SSD with your RAID detached to get the correct configuration.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:48 PM
  • Hi,

If your Bios is setup on UEFI then your first SSD 128 Gb bootable is on GPT partition and after cloning your  SSD 500 Gb is maybe now NTFS.  If that is the case it won't boot. Download  minitool to check them. Could you display the screenshot of both SSD partition and give us the link without password.

Momominta

Your information is somewhat erroneous.  Cloning would not change the character of the disk or the separate partitions.  Cloning means it's an exact copy of the original!

You also need to lean what acronyms are:

•   GPT is for GUID Partition Table.
    •   NTFS is for New Technology File System.

And are not in the same category.  A partition table is how the entire disk is mapped.  A file system is what is written to the partition to establish the files system configuration of the partition.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, October 5, 2017 10:21 AM
  • Hello, thanks for your comments.
    This screenshot shows my disk configuration.
    Indeed the active system partition is located on RAID (disk-b).
    I want to avoid a clean new installation as I have tons of software installed, on drive c: and mainly on drive f:. And I do not want to lose all these settings and activated software products and having to reinstall and reregister them.
    I do not yet fully understand why the system partition on disk-c does refuse to load operating system from the cloned new disk-d. Its exactly the same disk content on the source and the clone disk. There is no system partition on the disk-a and also not on the cloned disk-d. The only difference might be different  hardware/vendor IDs of the two disks.
    So what is the reason for that rejection ?
    Is there another option to "repair" this without a full clean new installation ?
    Can I make the cloned disk acceptable for the system partition using a tool like diskpart or is it possible to migrate the system partition from RAID disk-b to disk-a before cloning it ?
    Or would it be an option to install Win7 fresh on the new disk first and then to restore the backup files (not the drive image) from a current SSD backup set to get all links to software and registry settings on the new disk, too?
    Thursday, October 5, 2017 12:12 PM
  • I honestly do not know of an easy way to fix your situation.  Diskpart is quite rudimentary and it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to fix your situation with it.

There are some 3rd party utilities you can find on the web that are much more sophisticated and may have the features to help you. 

Thursday, October 5, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Thank you. Unfortunately I do not have a win10 cd. Will a win8 cd do the same job ?
    Friday, October 6, 2017 11:09 AM