none
back up to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID 3311) RRS feed

• Question

• all of my jobs are failing with

Affected area: -
    Occurred since: 1/24/2012 12:00:24 AM
    Description: The back up to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID 3311)
    More information
    Detailed Errors View Detailed Errors
    Recommended action: Run backup to tape job again...
    Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
    Inactivate alert

can you help?

• Moved by MarcReynolds Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:33 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you post the error message that shows up under Monitoring/Jobs?
    Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:22 PM
  • There is 231 failed jobs for the last two days.

Type is "Tape Backup" , "Recovery Point" , etc.

Stand Alone Drive Tape Library IBM ULTRIUM-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device could not be contacted. All jobs for Stand Alone Drive Tape Library IBM ULTRIUM-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device will fail if the connection is not established.
     (ID 3301)

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:12 PM
  • So you have a stand alone drive (not Library), correct?

Can you successfully run a tape inventory?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:22 PM
    • it is stand-alone
    • tape inventory fails

the tape drive is showing "offline"

I called DELL support and they checked that tape drive ad they see that all is ok.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:26 PM
  • ok....

So if it is offline DPM won't be able to successfully run any backups to tape on it.

Can you check if that tape device is showing up correctly under device manager (devmgmt.msc)?

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:27 PM
  • the tape drive is showing up. sorry it was powered off.

I am seeing this error so I tried to erase the tape:

The tape in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library IBM ULTRIUM-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device at Drive IBM ULTRIUM-HH5 SCSI Sequential Device has been written to by another tape backup application using an unsupported physical block size. DPM supports a physical block of 65536 bytes for writing and a physical block size ranging from 1024 bytes to 65536 bytes for reading. So DPM will not be able to read or overwrite the contents of this tape. (ID 24084 Details: When accessing a new tape of a multivolume partition, the current block size is incorrect (0x80070452))

the "tape erase data" then job failed.

Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:39 PM
  • i erased the tape using "mytape.exe"
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:27 PM
  • it works now!

Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:31 PM