none
Server 2012 Password issue on new domain

Question

• We recently setup a new domain controller running Server 2012 R2 standard 64 bit. All user profiles were setup in Active Directory. The default password we set users was Welcome1 and we chose all the defaults for the password policy. We set each account to force the user to change their password when they first login.

The issue we see is that when a user logs in and tries to change their password, it will not let them change their password the way it should be. For example, the account "testuser" was set to Welcome1. When I tried to change it to Atlanta@2 or Georgia8 or Nexeo+=7 or Kentucky9 it said "Unable to update the password. The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain"

I then tried to change it to Welcome2 and it accepted it.

I then went on the server and reset it logged in as administrator and see no issues (I can change it to whatever I want). So the issue is on the user end. I also turned OFF complexity requirements.

I logged back into the account and tried to change the password to Kentucky7 and it worked. I then did a CTRL ALT DEL and tried to change it to Kentuky9 and it gave the same error.

I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe there are time intervals on how often a user is allowed to change their password in Server 2012? Any ideas as to what is going on?

Friday, March 27, 2015 4:14 PM

Answers

• I logged back into the account and tried to change the password to Kentucky7 and it worked. I then did a CTRL ALT DEL and tried to change it to Kentuky9 and it gave the same error.

I'm not sure what is going on. Maybe there are time intervals on how often a user is allowed to change their password in Server 2012? Any ideas as to what is going on?

You must set minimum password age.

What is this: Minimum password age

Saturday, March 28, 2015 3:48 PM