none
1 Deployment Share for 2 WDS servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have 2 WDS servers on a campus, 1 in building 31 and another one in building 13 to facilitate PXE boot clients imaging. As of now, each WDS has their own deployment share on MDT 2013. I am trying to keep both WDS servers running only for PXE boot but pointing to only 1 single deployment share on MDT 2013. Please is this possible? if yes, provide me some instruction. If not, please please explain or provide me documentation.

Thanks much!

If what i am trying to do is not possible or recommended, then i can either keep both servers and deployment shares as is OR use 1 WDS and deployment share for both buildings. What would i have to do to direct all clients in building 31 and 13 via DHCP to this single WDS?

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 9:38 PM

Answers

• The target MDT server is stored in configuration file in the bootstrap.ini file embedded in your LitetouchPE_xx.wim file. You can set this entry to whatever server you want.

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\Server\DeploymentShare$

By Default it will point to your MDT server, and is embedded into the LiteTouchPE_xx.wim file when you "Update the deployment Share" on the MDT console.

Typically when the LitetouchPE_xx.wim file is delivered to the client via PXE, I would recommend using %WDSSERVER%, as that will auto-expand to whatever WDS Server your image came from, and there would be no need to modify each bootstrap.ini file on each WDS server, and re-update the deployment share.

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\%WDSSERVER%\DeploymentShare$

However, in your case, I would use the 1st example above, pointing to a specific server. Then import only that boot.wim file into both WDS/PXE servers. They will both point to the same MDT server.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:05 PM

All replies

• The target MDT server is stored in configuration file in the bootstrap.ini file embedded in your LitetouchPE_xx.wim file. You can set this entry to whatever server you want.

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\Server\DeploymentShare$

By Default it will point to your MDT server, and is embedded into the LiteTouchPE_xx.wim file when you "Update the deployment Share" on the MDT console.

Typically when the LitetouchPE_xx.wim file is delivered to the client via PXE, I would recommend using %WDSSERVER%, as that will auto-expand to whatever WDS Server your image came from, and there would be no need to modify each bootstrap.ini file on each WDS server, and re-update the deployment share.

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\%WDSSERVER%\DeploymentShare$

However, in your case, I would use the 1st example above, pointing to a specific server. Then import only that boot.wim file into both WDS/PXE servers. They will both point to the same MDT server.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:05 PM
  • An alternative perspective would be to set up ip Helpers for PXE boot, so you won't need two servers.

• Proposed as answer by benweston Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:11 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:10 PM
  • We have decided to keep a WDS 2008 server in each building for imaging.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2015 8:56 PM