Windows file explorer behavior RRS feed

• Question

• This is a little problem that i keep getting. I am keyboard shortcut user in windows explorer and then using the keyboard (using arrow and enter key) when browsing folder in left pane and I expand a folder a first time I end up with the folder expanded but located at the bottom of the pane. this annoying because you lose of sight the folder that should be visible under the current one. If I try again ( close and expand again the same folder) I get the left pane scrolled at the right position, at the top of the window. It only happens when using keyboard, mouse seem to show a different behavior. Is there something to do or a fix coming to avoid getting the folder at the bottom when we expand it (as explained) ?

Eric
    Monday, January 18, 2010 3:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Fritz,

I believe what you're describing is somewhat different from what the OP stated.  Yours involves mouse-clicks, while the OP explicitly stated that he/she is using the keyboard.  There IS a known, and thanks to Noel, sorted issue with WE, clicking, and the jump-down behavior.

Hopefully, this thread ( see here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/17a83954-8c3c-4d45-9dd6-03f6cdd1604c )   will help you.

Greetings... sorry I haven't replied back.

I went to the other thread and the "uncheck Automatically expand to current folder" fixed my problem.

Sorry for being in the wrong topic... glad I got my problem fixed though.

Have a great weekend :)
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:53 AM

All replies

• I cannot reproduce what you're seeing.  In the Navigation pane, I'm using the up/down arrow keys to move to a folder with subfolders, then I press the right arrow key to open the subfolder.  Enter causes the folder contents to be displayed in the other pane.

Can you be more specific about the keystroke sequence you're using, numbers of subfolders you have, how large your window is, etc.?

Thanks.

-Noel
    Monday, January 18, 2010 7:49 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I have tried to make a test on my PC and if I understand it well, some folders that contains many subfolders may encounter the issue first atemp (end up at the botton of the pane) but not garanteed. But the second atempt and mouse has the same result.

To make it clear, you can launch the program called psr.exe on windows 7. You can record the steps you made and upload the file to SkyDrive and provide us the link for analyzing

http://cid-4b2f155953942dc9.skydrive.live.com/summary.aspx

The above Windows Live ID is ONLY for collecting troubleshooting information. Please do NOT send your questions to it. For any new questions, please post in the forums so that more MSFT, MVP and community members can help you.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Here's a link to the bug reproduced.

http://cid-6b5c4dc9fe0ee3bd.skydrive.live.com/embedicon.aspx/Public

The step must be performed for the first time on a folder . Otherwise the normal behavior will apply. Again this a problem when browsing folder and it is only an issue because user need to expand twice a folder to get it located at the top of the left pane instead of at the bottom.

eric

Sunday, January 24, 2010 4:06 AM
  • I cannot reproduce what you're seeing.  In the Navigation pane, I'm using the up/down arrow keys to move to a folder with subfolders, then I press the right arrow key to open the subfolder.  Enter causes the folder contents to be displayed in the other pane.

Can you be more specific about the keystroke sequence you're using, numbers of subfolders you have, how large your window is, etc.?

Thanks.

-Noel

Hi Noel...

I have the same issue and will try to explain it a little better.

In Windows Explorer, have the Folder list showing in the left column.

Click on a triangle to show subfolders of that folder.

The 'original' folder then drops down to the last line in the Folder view, and you have to scroll to get it to show higher up in the list. This happens every time I click on a 'folder triangle'.

I prefer to open a subfolder list this way instead of double-clicking on it in the right pane.

Hope this explains a little better.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Hi Fritz,

I believe what you're describing is somewhat different from what the OP stated.  Yours involves mouse-clicks, while the OP explicitly stated that he/she is using the keyboard.  There IS a known, and thanks to Noel, sorted issue with WE, clicking, and the jump-down behavior.

Hopefully, this thread ( see here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/17a83954-8c3c-4d45-9dd6-03f6cdd1604c )   will help you.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 6:56 PM
  • Hi all,

Fritz is right , the problem only involve the keyboard. Did anyone reproduced the problem or am I alone with this ?

Friday, January 29, 2010 12:00 AM
  • I'm sorry, but I'm no closer to understanding the specific sequence you're describing to where I can try to reproduce it.  I stalled at the French description.

There are clearly sequencing issues with Explorer.  We can only hope Microsoft is running a big project to do a major Explorer cleanup.

-Noel

P.S., I wouldn't say the "Strange Folder Behavior" issue (in that other thread) is sorted, but at least it's possible to mostly work around it.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:45 AM
  • I did another test with various folder and i have to bring and it seems that the normal behavior owhen expanding a folder is that it simply try to show the maximum of folder under the expansion( in the navigation pane). This is why it doesn't always scroll to the top it depends on the number of folder inside the folder just expanded. In the worst case it goes to the top of the navigation pane. But the issue is still the same when expanding for the first time.

Saturday, January 30, 2010 8:57 PM
  • Hi Fritz,

Greetings... sorry I haven't replied back.

I went to the other thread and the "uncheck Automatically expand to current folder" fixed my problem.

Sorry for being in the wrong topic... glad I got my problem fixed though.

Have a great weekend :)
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Greetings...

Well, I _thought_ this fixed it. After I open a folder, any folder below it I double-click on makes the list drop back down to the bottom again.

Will see what else can be done.

Thanks for the info, anyway.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 3:53 AM
  • Just a remind for this bug, My issue do not involve using the mouse...only the keyboard. When expanding a folder you must use the right arrow key.

EL
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 10:56 PM