none
Backing up Sharepoint 2013 farm with DPM 2012 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2013 farm with 2 presentation servers, an index server, and a database server. From which server should I backup the SharePoint farm?
    Monday, July 28, 2014 6:11 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please review the TechNet article: Protecting a SharePoint Farm - you will see the sharepoint farm to protect when you expand out the web front end that you ran the configuresharepoint.exe on.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:34 PM
  • if your index server is crawling the sites by using it's own IIS sites, I would recommend installing the DPM agent on the index server, leaving the front ends to serve users. That way you'll get your DPM catalog generated, without impacting front-end performance.

If your index server is solely hosting the index role, and crawls the content on the front end servers, you'll need to install the agent on them - I'd recommend installing it on both, and running configuresharepoint on both, then if you lose one you can quickly reconfigure the protection group to backup from the other.

You'll also need to put the DPM agent on the database server/cluster, but you only need to run configuresharepoint on the index/front end server.

Friday, October 17, 2014 1:38 PM