none
Windows 10 updates - check online RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all, Can someone help me clarify the situation with regards to how windows updates work for Win10 pro.

Scenario:

We have the Windows 10 pro 1511 build installed and domain joined.   It also has a GPO pushed to configure the machine for WSUS updates.    There used to be a check box which said "check online for updates from Microsoft Update" if I wanted to bypass WSUS and go online, however this is no longer visible - assume by design via a CU at some point.

Question is, how do I force windows update to go online ?   I am assuming clicking check for updates will go to the configured WSUS server, which is fine.   But I would like to check online ....

thanks for clarifying

Monday, September 5, 2016 9:44 AM

All replies

• Hello

See if the following helps:

How do I reset Windows Update components?

Along with that , you may also want to look at your policy settings.  Since the machines having this problem are members of a domain, it’s entirely possible that there is a setting being applied to the machines that is blocking access.

There are a few different policy settings that could be the issue.  A good resource to take a look at is the WSUS Deployment Guide found under the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) page.

I hope this helps!

Regards, Regin Ravi

Monday, September 5, 2016 10:26 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  I am trying to understand if the checkbox for "check online for updates from Microsoft Update" is missing by design, as a result of GPO / policies, or an error.   I would like that confirmed.
    Monday, September 5, 2016 2:33 PM