I cannot open an excel file because it’s protected by Windows Rights Management RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2013

I cannot open an excel file because it’s protected by Windows Rights Management

I have been using the file for years with Windows Rights Management, from time to time I have to register my computer with Windows Rights Management to open Windows Rights Management protected files

Recently I moved the file to OneDrive for Business, it's synchronised with my hard drive. Initially it wouldn't open but after a while I managed to get it to open (I forget the exact detail). I used it a number of times without problems

It now won’t open again. When I try to open it in OneDrive for Business it says it can't because it's encrypted. When I try to open it from my hard drive a window tells me it’s ‘Configuring my computer for Information Rights Management . . . ‘ but another Windows Rights Management window also opens saying ‘Server Error in '/Certification' Application’ Login failed the login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication, and lots more (I have a snip I can send)

I think it’s a win 10 issue. I'm also happy to remove the encryption if possible

Can someone please help?

Friday, December 11, 2015 6:33 AM

All replies

• I am using Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2013

I cannot open an excel file because it’s protected by Windows Rights Management

I have been using the file for years with Windows Rights Management, from time to time I have to register my computer with Windows Rights Management to open Windows Rights Management protected files

Recently I moved the file to OneDrive for Business, it's synchronised with my hard drive. Initially it wouldn't open but after a while I managed to get it to open (I forget the exact detail). I used it a number of times without problems

It now won’t open again. When I try to open it in OneDrive for Business it says it can't because it's encrypted. When I try to open it from my hard drive a window tells me it’s ‘Configuring my computer for Information Rights Management . . . ‘ but another Windows Rights Management window also opens saying ‘Server Error in '/Certification' Application’ Login failed the login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with windows authentication, and lots more (I have a snip I can send)

I think it’s a win 10 issue. I'm also happy to remove the encryption if possible

Can someone please help?

Hello,

I am facing the same problem and already sent an e-mail to 'RMSTrial@microsoft.com'.

Is there any solution? Please.

Regards.

Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:06 AM
  • This is a problem I too have experienced with no solution yet.  It is a relative new problem, within the last 2-3 weeks and believe it must be associated with a server if you follow the stack flow messaging.  As the previous post stated and those not familiar with it occurs during Windows Right Management and gives a message "Server Error in '/Certification' Application." Cannot generate SSPI context;  I had the domain error too before troubleshooting, etc.  The problem appears to be failure from a protected doc or xls file that requires a connection to the server to verify authentication.  It is not just Win10, but I have the same problem in Win7.  I've gone through multiple updates on both OS's with no resolution, so I think it is the Microsoft server that is not handshaking properly to connect / authenticate the service.  

It is critical that this is resolved as many folks have encrypted files using this Microsoft supported tool.   Patiently waiting...  Please advise.   

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 1:21 AM
  • I have the same error... 

elidanielrs

Tuesday, December 15, 2015 5:13 AM
  • It seems that the problem is generic. As far as I understood the windows rights management provided with Office 2013 is not any more provided by Microsoft. It seems that they closed down the service. 

Check this post ... .

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/22539e25-0ceb-4a70-bf62-7e36eb592ea0/windows-rights-management-in-excel-error-message-cannot-generate-sspi-context?forum=excel

The question is how we decrypt and open our files now. ? I cannot imagine that MS stop the service and they do not provide any solution to existing users that have been using this service for years.

It is also very annoying that they had our live ids and they never informed us properly that this service will be discontinued 

Nikos

Nikolaos Nikou CEO Vertitech www.vertitech.gr nnikou@vertitech.gr

Friday, December 25, 2015 6:19 PM