Spell-checking in comments - can it be turned off? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft,

Would you please add the ability to turn off spelling and grammar checking in Review Comments in Word?

I have colleagues that enter comments hastily with lots of spelling mistakes and in point-form, which triggers a lot of grammar flags.

It is profoundly frustrating to have the spellchecking and grammar checking tools bogging down in the comments.

Worse still, the way the tool is displayed in a window, it is often hard to tell whether it is checking a comment, or the text itself, so the only way to be sure is to correct everything.

Your attention to this issue would be much appreciated.

I am not the only one having this problem: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/e7ae2f80-937d-480b-9d4c-82281f029721/how-to-turn-off-spell-check-in-word-2016-for-the-comment-section-only?forum=Office2016forMac

Alan Nichol

Tuesday, March 20, 2018 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Alan,

Currently, there is no settings in Word to only disable spelling and grammar checking for Comments. To block the whole Spelling and Grammar checking feature in Word, we can do:

On Word for Windows, go to File > Options > Proofing, under When correcting spelling and grammar in Word, un-select the box for option "Check spelling as you type" and "Mark grammar errors as you type".

On Word for Mac, go to Preferences > Spelling & Grammar. In the Spelling & Grammar dialog box, under Spelling, clear the Check spelling as you type box. Under Grammar, clear the Check grammar as you type box.

If you want to add disabling the spelling checker issue for Comments in Word, it is recommended to submit feedback to product team via the following method:

For Windows: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-do-i-give-feedback-on-microsoft-office-2b102d44-b43f-4dd2-9ff4-23cf144cfb11
    For Mac: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/how-do-i-give-feedback-on-microsoft-office-2b102d44-b43f-4dd2-9ff4-23cf144cfb11#platform=Mac

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018 8:23 AM
  • You could, conceivably, modify the Comment Text style.

Go into the modify style dialog for this.

Click on the Format button and pick language.

Choose "do not check spelling and grammar."

I am basing this on a Windows version, but expect that it would work on the Mac.

Please let us know if I am correct on my guess.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Thursday, March 22, 2018 3:08 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?
    If any reply is helpful, please mark it as answer to close the thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, March 26, 2018 9:50 AM
  • You (MS) are becoming so customer and user unfriendly so your pure existence is a miracle ... who invented spell checking in comments in the 1st place, no user survey can ever have surfaced that need :/

Sunday, May 5, 2019 7:08 PM
  • Try modifing the Comment Text style to not check spelling and grammar.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Sunday, May 5, 2019 8:25 PM
  • You (MS) are becoming so customer and user unfriendly so your pure existence is a miracle ... who invented spell checking in comments in the 1st place, no user survey can ever have surfaced that need :/

Note that contributors here generally do NOT work for Microsoft.

Charles did point out last year that it is possible to modify the Comment Text style so that text in that style won't be spellchecked.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Sunday, May 5, 2019 10:44 PM