none
FAST ESP sorting on datetime field provides inconsitent search results RRS feed

• Question

• FAST ESP 5.3 : Sorting on datetime field (full sort enabled), does not apply sorting on seconds. It works for hours and minutes though.

For example : when is sort by date field in descending order, this is what i get in the search results from ESP

Documnet 1 : 2009-08-06T10:56:28Z

Documnet 2 : 2009-08-06T10:56:30Z (The order of this result is wrong here)

Documnet 3 : 2009-08-06T10:55:20Z

Did any one had this issue before?

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• Can you explain how you reproduce this? E.g. I tested this:

1. Use default search frontend (SFE)
    2. Select a search view
    3. Search for -asdf (to show all content in the view)
    4. Click Advanced Controls and select Result Sorting processingtime, Ascending
    5. Verify that the processingtime dates are in ascending order

Could it be that you sort by one date field, and when you verify the order you look at another date field (e.g. processingtime vs. docdatetime)?

How do you apply the sort order? Via SFE is the safest way to check. If you are doing this through parameters it could be a problem with your parameters.

Do you see the problem for a custom datetime field, or one of the built-in fields?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:27 AM
  • Also, the default datetime-resolution is minutes.  The string in the field may be formatted with seconds, but if the field doesn't change the datetime-resolution to "second", the indexer will treat it only at the "minute" level.  See the Configuration guide on how to define a Field element in the index profile.
    Garth Grimm
    Avery Ranch Consulting
    www.averyranchconsulting.com
    • Proposed as answer by gdgrimm Thursday, December 1, 2011 5:25 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:10 PM
  • Hi Garth,

Thanks. I was not using that "second" resolution for the custom datetime field.  This would solve my issue.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 1:18 AM