none
"GPO": Enable .NET Framework 3.5 in Windows 8

Question

•   

Windows 8 only comes with .NET framework 4 activated. A lot of desktop programs for i.e consumers requires .NET 3.5 - i.e. Pinnacle or Avid Studio.

Here is to add .NET 3.5 using automated installation setups - there is no way to use GPO to automate DISM - except add a startup script to that GPO to command DISM of course. DISM builtin Windows tool activates the unenabled Windows feature making this the easiest approach to quickly bring back .NET 3.5 availability. 

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5"
     if errorlevel 1 dism /online /enable-feature /FeatureName:NetFx

Testing the reg key above is the recommend approach to check .NET framwork release availbility inside the host according to: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kb.aspx?id=318785

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• I believe you can save a few minutes on each installation if you mount your wim, enable netfx3 in offline mode and then commit the changes. 

dism.exe /Image:C:\mount /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess

Otherwise, it takes DISM an additional 2-3 minutes (or more) on every install when doing it 'online'.  

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:53 AM
  • Yep, that could be a great optimization.

In addition I don't understand the dropping of having previous .NET frameworks activated. My point is consumers will battle a bit with that. Smaller foot print in theory may be - but practically many consumers will have to install the framework and doing so be prompted to download. One way MS could control it the future was to offer people to inventory their software - also desktop - i.e. profile the system - and stuff that into the cloud as well - and on reinstall offter the "right variant configuration" instead of just having one image configuration out the factory. That needs to be more flexible today - more standard configurations.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 1:59 AM
  • Hi,

In order to get the answer effectively, I suggest you contact Windows 8 Forum for further assistance. Thank you for your understanding. 

Windows 8 Forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w8itpro

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:47 AM
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:57 AM
  • I believe anyone that refers someone else to another forum can kiss my ass. Thats all most 'MVPs'  know how to do... useless... y cant I down vote you. ? ...
    Thursday, September 08, 2016 8:05 PM