none
Device Encryption vs BitLocker, which to use? RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows 10 PC supports both Device Encryption and Bitlocker. What is the difference between the two and which one should I turn on?

Monday, April 3, 2017 5:49 AM

All replies

• Device encryption will only be offered, when you run windows home edition. Use bitlocker, it offers more.
    Monday, April 3, 2017 8:29 AM
  • Hi Jamie,

Please refer to this link for detailed comparison between Device Encryption and BitLocker.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-81/device-encryption-windows-81-and-bitlocker-drive-encryption

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In general, I suggest to use BitLocker Encryption, it has more advantages than Device Encryption and it’s easier to manage.

BitLocker Drive Encryption is a data protection feature that integrates with the operating system and addresses the threats of data theft or exposure from lost, stolen, or inappropriately decommissioned computers.

BitLocker provides the most protection when used with a Trusted Platform Module (TPM)

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Ok, so Windows makes both available... I see no reason to offer both since DevEnc has no advantages.
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:53 AM