Outlook error - the file is not an Outlook data file .ost RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I've just managed to finally get an Exchange Server up and running. I'd come into this system which had never been working. I've now created a few profiles through Active Directory but am struggling with an error when launching Outlook 2016 - regardless of user.

'Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The File xxx.ost is not an Outlook data file (.ost).'

I've tried removing the profile and starting again to no avail. I've tried creating another mail database on the server to no avail either.

Running Exchange Server 2016 as a Domain Member with two DCs. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Ollie

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your updates.

>> but I've also tried manually adding the accounts and it's the same issue. 
    Do you mean that the issue still be here even if you add the accounts via Outlook client?

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 17, 2019 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Are all Outlook the same version?

In this situation, please start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 2:56 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Yes all Outlook are the same version.

I have attempted safe mode to no avail unfortunately. Also, tried running outlook.exe /resetnavpane which didn't seem to help.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ollie

Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:52 AM
  • Hi Ollie,

Thanks for your updates.

>> created a few profiles through Active Directory
    What does this mean?

How do you add the email accounts to Outlook?

And how do you configure user's profiles?

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, June 13, 2019 7:59 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Apologies for the miscommunication. I created the user accounts through the EAC and selected users from the active directory drop list to create them. 

So all their information is already prepopulated through AD from the DC. 

I did no extra configuration besides this, are there extra steps to complete? Sorry this is my first time setting up Exchange and Outlook.

When opening Outlook, it automatically can log in based on the user, but I've also tried manually adding the accounts and it's the same issue. 

Regards, 

Ali

Thursday, June 13, 2019 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your updates.

>> but I've also tried manually adding the accounts and it's the same issue. 
    Do you mean that the issue still be here even if you add the accounts via Outlook client?

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, June 17, 2019 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 9:28 AM