none
Can we create mailbox with mail nickname in arabic?

Question

• Hello,

I have a requirement from the customer to create the mailboxes of the user with their mail nickname in arabic.

When I try to create one, it gets created successfully but I am not able to login with the arabic mail nickname and it gives invalid credentials error.

Can anybody please confirm that if creation of mailboxes with mail nickname in arabic is allowed?

Regards,

Babar

Monday, June 4, 2018 1:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on RFC 5322 - Internet Message Format it's not possible.

The local-part of the email address may use any of these ASCII characters:

• uppercase and lowercase Latin letters A to Z and a to z;
    • digits 0 to 9;
    • special characters !#$%&'*+-/=?^_`{|}~;
    • dot ., provided that it is not the first or last character unless quoted, and provided also that it does not appear consecutively unless quoted (e.g. John..Doe@example.com is not allowed but "John..Doe"@example.com is allowed);
    • space and "(),:;<>@[\] characters are allowed with restrictions (they are only allowed inside a quoted string, as described in the paragraph below, and in addition, a backslash or double-quote must be preceded by a backslash);
    • comments are allowed with parentheses at either end of the local-part; e.g. john.smith(comment)@example.com and (comment)john.smith@example.com are both equivalent to john.smith@example.com.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Email_address#Local-part

Monday, June 4, 2018 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my test, we could change the mailNickname to an arabic one from ADUC and save it successfully, but it is not supported with Exchange server.

In Exchange, the corresponding attribute is called "Alias", and if we run the following command to get it from the powershell, it will return the following error message:

And if we change it via GUI, we even couldn't save it. Therefore, it is impossible for us to set the mailNickname to be arabic.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 7:21 AM
  • Hi Manu.

Can you test in lab this>

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powershell/2006/12/11/outputencoding-to-the-rescue/

1 $OutputEncoding = New-Object -typename System.Text.UTF8Encoding
    2 [Console]::OutputEncoding = New-Object -typename System.Text.UTF8Encoding

Or

Powershell.exe -NoExit -Command "$OutputEncoding = [Console]::OutputEncoding = [Text.UTF8Encoding]::UTF8"

And after again repeat

Get-Mailbox Test2  | fl alias

PS I'm not test it's idea

MCITP, MCSE. Regards, Oleg

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:31 AM