Possible conflict between recent Windows Update and recent BIOS Upgrade regarding battery not charging? RRS feed

• Question

• My Acer 5534's battery stopped charging recently, and I upgraded the BIOS per their instructions to correct the problem. The problem was solved, and my laptop's battery began charged normally.

Yesterday, my laptop installed a recent Windows update. Upon restarting, the laptop would no longer charge the battery. It is currently plugged in to a working outlet, but the battery is not charging. It it static at 83%.

I want you to fix this. It's obvious to me that something with the update screwed up my laptop, and now it's not working as it should. I cannot begin to communicate the depths of my frustration and anger with you guys over this.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:13 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Saturday, November 19, 2011 6:15 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Generally, the battery information is read-only and there is no way for Windows 7 or any other OS to write, set or configure battery status information.  In fact all of the battery actions of charging and discharging are completely controlled by the battery hardware.  Windows only reports the battery information it reads from the system firmware.

To verify if the recent update cause this issue, we may try to make Windows 7 go back to a previous status.

If this issue persists, we suggest you update your chipset driver to the latest version.

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, November 28, 2011 7:09 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 3:00 AM