none
DPM 2012 - Client backups - Synchronizations/backups during the day ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am seeing that the backups are happening before the scheduled time.

I have scheduled a 24hr synchronization at 10PM everyday but I can see my backups happening at 1:22PM and 4:19PM

How can I force that NOTHING happens during business hours ? I can see that there is some congestion on the network during those times and slows the network to a crawl if the server is backing up large amounts of data.

Any insight is appreciated

Thanks

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The 10:00PM in the DPM console is not the Synchronization time, it's the recovery point time. 

Client protection synchronizations are not controlled by the DPM Server, the clients initiate synchronizations at the frequency specified on the DPM server.  The time they synchronize is based when the client last synchronized.  If they were scheduled to synchronize every 24 hours, and their first synch was at 2:00PM, they would synch every day at 2:00PM.    If the client was turned off at 2:00PM, and was turned on again at 4:00PM, then the client would so a Synch at 4:00PM and every day thereafter at 4:00PM until that one is missed... etc.   So you will see clients synchronize at all different times.

You enable bandwidth throttling for daytime if that is not acceptable.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:48 PM
  • Hey Matthew,

What you can do is set the synchronization frequency to "Just before a recovery point" and this way the backups will happen only at 10pm as you desire.

Here is a screenshot:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/mishka_007/recovery-1.jpg

• Edited by m3koval Friday, September 27, 2013 1:14 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Hi m3koval,

**EDIT**

After looking at the protection group in question I do not have this option for this group.

But on my server protection group I have the option :S

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:29 PM
  • Matthew,

Ahhh I see.... I am missing this option as well on groups where I am backing up hyper-v VMs. Its just you said that you have setup 24 hour synchronization, and that confused me. For environment I have set up a few different protection groups and have them scheduled at different times after hours. I have them run one time everyday this is the Express Full Backup.  The backups will start on time however take note that the VMs might be getting backed up in series and if you have many VMs in that group those backups might be running all day.

But as Mike said the only way to really control backups during business hours is to enable bandwidth throttling for daytime.
    • Edited by m3koval Friday, September 27, 2013 8:28 PM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 8:16 PM
  • server protection Bare metal recovery 5 day retention and recovery points at 10pm
    Friday, September 27, 2013 9:30 PM
  • Yeah I have never had an instance were it was not running at the assigned time, with those settings.

Looking under monitoring and filter by protection group and see if it starts the backups at 10pm and if those jobs succeed or fail.

Monday, September 30, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Hi,

You need to adjust the filter to include Synchronization and Recovery Point jobs.  Recovery points always run at the scheduled time and you will notice no data is transferred as it's just a shadow copy.   Synchronizations are what transfers data and do not necessarily run at absolute scheduled times.

Upon the install of the DPM client software a scheduled task is created as ScheduledDPMClientBackup. The client uses the scheduled task to poll the DPM server and see if a policy has been configured for it. The first time it finds the policy, it starts backing up. After that, it just ensures one synchronization every 24 hours.

Further, the backup time can start varying later as well. The DPM server throttles the no. of concurrent backups running, so some clients would be asked to retry after sometime, causing the synchronizations to get automatically staggered.

DPM task controller has a threshold of 150 jobs, so it will stagger jobs to keep the DPM server from being overloaded. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 30, 2013 4:49 PM