none
Problem with DNS registration RRS feed

• Question

• Recently, we have a problem where machines aren't registering in DNS correctly. What seems to happen is the wireless IP gets stuck in DNS. I have tested this and it seems the 2nd time i connect ethernet it will register correctly. I just don't understand why plugging it back in works the 2nd time. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I didn't see anything useful in the event viewer for the DCs. 
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:37 PM

All replies

• Can you give a bit more details on sequence of actions?

- Connect Wireless Network (IP gets registered)

- Remove Wireless Network

- Connect Ethernet (IP does not get registered)

- Remove Ethernet connection

- Connect Ethernet (IP gets registered)

Right?

Or do you connect Ethernet before removing Wireless?

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:47 PM
  • Basically the wireless network is enabled the whole time. I was trying to replicate an issue where we have mobile users that take their surface and use it wirelessly and then come back to their desk and hook back up to the dock. This problem isn't just with surfaces but just portables in general that go back and forth between wireless and wired connections.

-Connect Ethernet (doesn't get registered)

-Remove Ethernet

-Connect Ethernet (does get registered)

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:56 PM
  • Hi philjfry,

According your description,I think your wireless and wired subnets are different.

What is your DNS record update schema?

Have you set DHCP server to automatically update DNS server with A&PTR records of DHCP client?

If you do,you could try set 'Always dynamically update DNS records'.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 1:33 AM
  • Cartman - It looks like we already have those DNS options set for our DHCP scope. 
    Wednesday, March 30, 2016 2:06 PM
  • Hi philjfry,

Try to change the set to 'Dynamic update DNS records only if requested by the DHCP clients',and test again.

Best Regards,

Cartman

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 12:16 PM
  • Sorry for the late reply. I'm finally getting around to working on this problem again. The problem seems to be that when a user has a dhcp on the wireless subnet, it works fine but when it switches back to wired subnet, it never updates from that wireless ip address in DNS. 

I have tried changing that setting on the last reply but it didn't seem to help. 

Update - I have figured out that if I do ipconfig /registerdns it doesn't work and I see an error in the event log. "The system failed to register host (A or AAAA) resource records (RRs) for network adapter." I have created a GPO that will do dynamic update, register DNS records and finally set the DNS suffix. That doesn't appear to have helped. I'm still getting this error in my event logs. 
    • Edited by philjfry Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:43 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 1:28 PM
  • It appears this problem is resolved now. I don't like the solution but it will have to do for now. I changed the DNS option to secure and non-secure updates. For some reason, the clients were unable to register DNS with it set to secure only. I read some information that changing domain functional level to 2012 R2 fixed the problem but we still have a few 2008 R2 domain controllers so that wasn't an option for us. 
    Thursday, October 20, 2016 3:07 PM