none
Forward a reply search issue RRS feed

• Question

• When we do the following:

1. Send a mail to an internal or external user

2. Receive a reply from this internal or external user

3. Forward this reply to another internal or external user

After this steps if we search the subject, content in the mail or the name of the outside user only the forwarded mail is shown.Not the original reply

This only happens on Exchange 2019 (CU5) and not on Exchange 2016 (Both Outlook 2016 & 2019).

Anyone else having this problem? How can we fix this?
    <style></style>
    • Edited by Timo Knook Monday, June 8, 2020 8:22 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2020 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Timo,

First, check whether the same search problem exists in Outlook cache mode and OWA.

1. If there is only a problem with Outlook cache mode, please follow the steps below:

1) Check the Windows search service to make sure it is running and the startup type is "Automatic ". You can try to restart the service.

2) Go to the control panel, check under the index options to see if Outlook has been indexed, and try to rebuild the index.

3) You also could create a new Outlook profile to see if the problem persists.

2. If there is a problem with Outlook online mode and OWA.

1) See if there are mailbox items that cannot be successfully indexed by Exchange Search by running:

Get-FailedContentIndexDocuments -Identity <user name>

2) Check and confirm that the two services of Microsoft Exchange Search and Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller are running.

3) Confirm that the database where the user is located has search index enabled, and the value of IndexEnabled should be true by running:

Get-mailbox <user name> | fl name,database

Get-MailboxDatabase <db name> | fl Name,IndexEnabled

4) Check the status of the database and content index by running below command. If ContentIndexState shows FailedAndSuspended or Failed status, try to rebuild the database content index directory.

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | ft Name,Status,ContentIndexState

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 9:20 AM
  • Hi Lucas, thanks for you reply!

I have checked all the above suggestions and it was all enabled and correct.

The problem only exists in online modus and owa. We have this with all users and on 3 different Exchange 2019 environments (differtent customers).

<style><br _moz_dirty="" /></style>

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 7:15 AM
  • Hi Timo,

Is your environment a DAG environment?

1. If your server is a member of DAG, you could rebuild the database content index directory by running:

Update-MailboxDatabaseCopy -Identity <db name\server name> -SourceServer <ServerIdParameter> -CatalogOnly

Then please check the content index state by run the below command. If the ContentIndexState value is Crawling, it indicates that the content index is being established and it will take some time. After the rubuild is complete and ContentIndexState shows Healthy, please try to search  email again.

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus | ft Name,Status,ContentIndexState

2. If your server is not a member of DAG, please follow the steps below:

1) Stop and restart the Microsoft Exchange Search service and Microsoft Exchange Search Host Controller service.

2) In addition, please try to migrate a user to another database.

3) Then check the index state as above and search email again.

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 12, 2020 8:31 AM
  • Hi Lucas,

I have tried the mentioned things without result. We have it with all our clients with Exchange 2019. Some of them have a DAG, some of them don't.

<style></style>
    Monday, June 15, 2020 8:58 AM
  • Hi Timo,

Please try to create a new database and migrate a user to new database. Then try the mail operation you mentioned, and then retrieve the mail to see if it is successful.

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Thursday, June 18, 2020 9:49 AM
  • Hi Timo,

I am writing here to confirm with you how thing going now? If the above suggestion helps, please be free to mark it as an answer for helping more people.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Tuesday, June 23, 2020 10:37 AM
  • Hi Lucas,

I tried to copy the user to a new database but without success. Still the same problem

Timo

Friday, June 26, 2020 11:26 AM
  • Hi Timo,

Is your Exchange 2019 the latest CU? If not, please update to the latest CU of Exchange 2019 first, search again and see if you can successfully search.

For more information you could refer to:Updates for Exchange Server.

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Monday, June 29, 2020 9:35 AM
  • Hi Lucas,

I have updated Exchange 2019 to CU6 now but still without a result

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 2:12 PM
  • Hi Timo,

Could you view the original reply email in Outlook?

Did you find any error information in Log? For example, application, system and security.

According to my test in my environment, I could search successfully and did not reproduce the same error as you, and I have not received similar cases in the latest. If I encounter similar cases in the future, I will report to the product team.

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Thursday, July 2, 2020 5:55 AM
  • Hi Lucas,

How did you test it?

If i do the following:

1. Send a mail to an internal or external user
    If i search, i can still find the e-mail

2. Receive a reply from this internal or external user
    If i search, i can still find the e-mail

3. Forward this reply to another internal or external user
    If i search, i can't find the e-mail from point 2. I can only find the e-mail from point 1 and 3

I tried this with 3 complete different environments and everywhere i get the same result

Thursday, July 2, 2020 12:22 PM
  • Hi Timo,

Below is my test steps:

1. I create three test users: userA, userB and userC.

2. first, I use userA to send an email to userB, and then userB replies userA's email.

3. second, UserA forwards the reply email from userB to userC.

4. Finally, I could see the reply email from userB in userA's mailbox, and it can be searched normally.

After you forwards the reply email, could you see the original reply email in Outlook?

Regards,

Lucas Liu

Friday, July 3, 2020 8:16 AM
  • No, i can't see the reply.

See below:
    I send an e-mail to a co worker at 13.24. He replied to my e-mail on 13.24 as well and i forwarded this email to someone else (outside of the organization in this example) at 13.25

As you can see in the picture below, i received the reply at 13.24 but it isn't shown in my search result

<style></style>
    • Edited by Timo Knook Friday, July 3, 2020 11:37 AM
    Friday, July 3, 2020 11:36 AM