What is Forefront Security? AV for server and clients? RRS feed

• Question

• HI folks.  This is probably a lame question but I can't get a good bead on what Forefront actually is from the website.   I have heard it is protection for Exchange server only but also heard that it is antivirus protection for your server and clients on the network.  If someone could give me a brief answer about what it actually is and does before I go start playing with the demo I'd really appreciate it.  Also, in looking around, is there no 64bit edition?  With something like this it seems there would have to be.  I plan on running in a Server 08 Enterprise x64 environment.  Thanks.
    • Edited by FuzzyReets Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:45 PM
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 1:40 PM

Answers

• "Forefront" is Microsoft's name for their security product lines.  From their FAQ you can see:

"The Microsoft Forefront comprehensive line of business security products provides greater protection and control through integration with your existing IT infrastructure and through simplified deployment, management, and analysis. Microsoft Forefront helps you confidently meet ever-changing threats and increased business demands with highly responsive information protection and access control solutions supported by Microsoft technical guidance."

The Forefront products include:

·         Forefront Client Security

o    (anti-virus for file-level protection)

·         Forefront Security for Office Communications Server

o    Antivirus for Corporate Instant Messaging

·         Forefront Security for Exchange

o    Antivirus for Exchange databases and email traffic

·         Forefront Security for SharePoint

o    Antivirus that integrates into SharePoint sites

I am also aware that Microsoft’s next generations of:

·         Internet Security Acceleration Server

o    Microsoft’s firewall server

·         Microsoft Identity Lifecycle management server

o    Directory synchronization product

…are going to be renamed in the upcoming release to “Forefront” titles.

That’s far from an official Microsoft answer, but should get you started!  J

Mike Crowley  A+, Network+, Security+, MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator

Sunday, June 21, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• "Forefront" is Microsoft's name for their security product lines.  From their FAQ you can see:

"The Microsoft Forefront comprehensive line of business security products provides greater protection and control through integration with your existing IT infrastructure and through simplified deployment, management, and analysis. Microsoft Forefront helps you confidently meet ever-changing threats and increased business demands with highly responsive information protection and access control solutions supported by Microsoft technical guidance."

The Forefront products include:

·         Forefront Client Security

o    (anti-virus for file-level protection)

·         Forefront Security for Office Communications Server

o    Antivirus for Corporate Instant Messaging

·         Forefront Security for Exchange

o    Antivirus for Exchange databases and email traffic

·         Forefront Security for SharePoint

o    Antivirus that integrates into SharePoint sites

I am also aware that Microsoft’s next generations of:

·         Internet Security Acceleration Server

o    Microsoft’s firewall server

·         Microsoft Identity Lifecycle management server

o    Directory synchronization product

…are going to be renamed in the upcoming release to “Forefront” titles.

That’s far from an official Microsoft answer, but should get you started!  J

Mike Crowley  A+, Network+, Security+, MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator

Sunday, June 21, 2009 5:28 PM
  • Exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!
    Sunday, June 21, 2009 6:00 PM
  • So if I've got this right I have to have SQL 2005 purchased as well as install WSUS?  Lots of overhead....
    Monday, June 22, 2009 12:51 PM
  • Yes, you need SQL 2005 std or enterprise (32 bit). WSUS is used for distributing updates incl definition updates. If you have SCCM you can use that (it has WSUS integrated). you can also schedule a MOM job to download and distribute updates or let the clients go to Microsoft Update directly... so it's possible to do without the WSUS. However WSUS is recommended.

Good luck!

/J

MCSE, forefront spec | www.msforefront.com
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Okay thanks.  Seems like a lot to just run AV software....
    Monday, June 22, 2009 2:30 PM
  • Can't say I disagree with that.  You can put everything in one box, so you don't NEED to have multiple servers, but you have to use the "for-pay" version of SQL.  (express doesn't work nor is supported). 

To determine how many servers you actually need for FCS see here:

Choosing your topology
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb418915.aspx

Monday, June 22, 2009 5:42 PM