none
Removing UDF partitions from HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I have somehow got 2 UDF partitions (F and G) on my Win 10 pro laptop - I have no idea where they came from but I obviously want them gone

I am not allowed to simply select/delete them

How do I dispatch them ?

Monday, May 28, 2018 10:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Try the steps below to check if it is helpful.

By using a command prompt you can override the default behavior, and use just any file system.

1.Close all programs that might be accessing the drive.

2.Open an elevated command prompt.

3.Type or paste the following command, replacing <driveLetter> with the actual letter assigned to the drive. Double-check the letter is the right one, then press Enter to execute it.

format <driveLetter>: /fs:UDF /q

4.Press Enter to confirm the operation, then specify a drive label, or just press Enter again to leave it empty.

Also I consider that you could get into disk management to delete or use the diskpart command.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

Try the steps below to check if it is helpful.

By using a command prompt you can override the default behavior, and use just any file system.

1.Close all programs that might be accessing the drive.

2.Open an elevated command prompt.

3.Type or paste the following command, replacing <driveLetter> with the actual letter assigned to the drive. Double-check the letter is the right one, then press Enter to execute it.

format <driveLetter>: /fs:UDF /q

4.Press Enter to confirm the operation, then specify a drive label, or just press Enter again to leave it empty.

Also I consider that you could get into disk management to delete or use the diskpart command.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

It still won't let me - telling me that the drive is "write protected" - I have set the share properties to allow access to ALL - But can't see where I can set read/write protection ....

Disk Management fails to allow me to do anything ..
    • Edited by Formula XX Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:01 AM