locked
getting ready for win2008 RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    my softgrid is version 4.1.1.302 (RTM).  it is using sql2000 (on another box).

     

    i know that sql2000 will not be supported on win2008.

     

    Is there now a later version of softgrid i should update to that supports me upgrading to sql2005 sp2 (that is good for win2008).  if so:

     

    what is the process for upgrading - upgrade softgrid, then the sql server? any other steps?

     

    what happens to the clients - do they get redeployed, do they continue working as is, do they update themselves?  is there any downtime beyond the actual installation of the upgrade?

     

    do any apps need to be resequenced?

     

    thanks!

     

    BJ

    Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:33 PM

Answers

  •  BJ@gunnery wrote:

    my softgrid is version 4.1.1.302 (RTM).  it is using sql2000 (on another box).

     

    i know that sql2000 will not be supported on win2008.

     

    Is there now a later version of softgrid i should update to that supports me upgrading to sql2005 sp2 (that is good for win2008).

     

    4.1.1.302 supports SQL 2005 so in that regards you are all good. Newest version available for 4.1 is SP1 HFRU1 (4.1.2.20) so you can go for that if you so choose, but SQL -wise it's not necessary.

     

     BJ@gunnery wrote:

      if so:

     

    what is the process for upgrading - upgrade softgrid, then the sql server? any other steps?

     

    Since with your current SG there's no problem of switching SQL backend to newer version, just upgrade your database server. Of course normal warnings (backup your databases etc.) apply to that operation.

     

     BJ@gunnery wrote:

    what happens to the clients - do they get redeployed, do they continue working as is, do they update themselves?  is there any downtime beyond the actual installation of the upgrade?

     

    Nothing happens on client as they are not directly communicating with SQL, only with VAS. If you for some reason want to upgrade clients, then you have to re-deploy the installation .MSI and run it certain properties (REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL) in order to actually upgrade the client.

     

     BJ@gunnery wrote:

    do any apps need to be resequenced?

     

    For change of SQL, no.

     

    br,

    Kalle

    Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:37 PM
    Moderator
  • Oh, and btw, I don't think current SoftGrid versions supports Windows 2008 (albeit it might install on it, not sure since I haven't tested yet).

     

    /Kalle

     

    Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:39 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  •  BJ@gunnery wrote:

    my softgrid is version 4.1.1.302 (RTM).  it is using sql2000 (on another box).

     

    i know that sql2000 will not be supported on win2008.

     

    Is there now a later version of softgrid i should update to that supports me upgrading to sql2005 sp2 (that is good for win2008).

     

    4.1.1.302 supports SQL 2005 so in that regards you are all good. Newest version available for 4.1 is SP1 HFRU1 (4.1.2.20) so you can go for that if you so choose, but SQL -wise it's not necessary.

     

     BJ@gunnery wrote:

      if so:

     

    what is the process for upgrading - upgrade softgrid, then the sql server? any other steps?

     

    Since with your current SG there's no problem of switching SQL backend to newer version, just upgrade your database server. Of course normal warnings (backup your databases etc.) apply to that operation.

     

     BJ@gunnery wrote:

    what happens to the clients - do they get redeployed, do they continue working as is, do they update themselves?  is there any downtime beyond the actual installation of the upgrade?

     

    Nothing happens on client as they are not directly communicating with SQL, only with VAS. If you for some reason want to upgrade clients, then you have to re-deploy the installation .MSI and run it certain properties (REINSTALLMODE=vomus REINSTALL=ALL) in order to actually upgrade the client.

     

     BJ@gunnery wrote:

    do any apps need to be resequenced?

     

    For change of SQL, no.

     

    br,

    Kalle

    Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:37 PM
    Moderator
  • Oh, and btw, I don't think current SoftGrid versions supports Windows 2008 (albeit it might install on it, not sure since I haven't tested yet).

     

    /Kalle

     

    Thursday, February 7, 2008 8:39 PM
    Moderator
  • thanks

    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:49 PM