Unlock volume cmd?? RRS feed

• Question

• 1. Need bitlocker recovery key... my account never generated one.  Trying to use cmd to override / reset password. 

2. Was so close... but volume locked... need password.  How do I unlock volume without password? 

Friday, February 10, 2017 3:26 AM

All replies

• The creation of a recovery key is mandatory. If you lost yours, you lost your data. No override possible.
    Friday, February 10, 2017 4:45 PM
  • I have a recovery key... i just don't have a Bitlocker recovery key. One was never generated, so I'm trying to use cmd to disable it somehow... But it's asking for the Volume password... So now I need to figure out how to disable the Volume password... 
    Saturday, February 11, 2017 1:46 AM
  • "I have a recovery key... i just don't have a Bitlocker recovery key" - Please explain. What type of recovery key do you have?

For your information: by default, recovery keys get created and encryption will not start until you save or print that key. That key is all you need.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 7:49 AM
  • I have the 25 alphanumeric code... however the Bitlocker recovery key is different in that it requires 45 numbers alone... I went through all the steps to recover such code (since it was supposed to have been generated and saved )... and my Microsoft account says there is no bitlocker key.  Hence my predicament.... I'm locked out of my tablet. I'm trying to override bitlocker through cmd... However,  the disk is locked and I need to override that now. But I don't know how. So I need help, please. 
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 1:47 PM
  • If Bitlocker is in recovery mode, it will only accept the recovery key and the only way out is to either have that recovery key, or leave recovery mode.

Question: how did it enter recovery mode? What did you do to get from the working state to this stae?

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 2:13 PM
  • Thank you.  

I wish I knew.  I went to turn on the tablet, and that's what popped up.  I can't skip it.  If I do that, it goes right back to that page.  I never saw it before.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:56 PM
  • How can I leave recovery mode? (I guess that's my only option since there's no key..?)
    Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:57 PM
  • You can't unless you undo the change that was detected (like a bios change maybe or a hardware change). but if you don't know what changed, that's bad for you. You will need to resort to your latest backup :(

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Interesting. Can this be done using cmd? And without bitlocker? I feel like it will tell me disk volume locked. Oy. 

Ty for your help btw!!

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 10:43 AM
  • Look, you don't understand me. I am telling you that you need to find out what was changed. Obviously, you are not aware of a change, so you cannot reverse "it", that change. It could be that the bios settings were reset - this happens through bios battery failures or power spikes or static electricity discharge (you touch your computer - BAM, you see sparks). So your only chance might be to revise the bios settings and find out whether they are as you'd expect them to be.

The cmd has nothing to do with this and there is no way to override this. You will need your backup if you don't find out what was changed, sorry.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 12:02 PM