none
MDT task sequence completely ignores capture of custom image RRS feed

• Question

• I have configured a very basic, not at all complex task sequence which is meant to capture a custom operating system image of Windows 10 pro.  However, twice now, it will get to the end, sysprep the device, configure winpe to boot using BCD, and when it restarts.....nothing.  Just boots back into operating system and invalidating all the work I just went through to try and capture a custom image.  What the hell!?!?  I am using MDT 2013 update 2, windows server 2012 R2, and deploying windows 10 x64 pro.  Any indication as to why this is happening would be appreciated
    • Edited by whiggs3 Sunday, June 12, 2016 3:08 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2016 3:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

What are in the BDD.log??

Are this a custom Task Sequence or a standard one?

Do you have skipcapture=yes in your costumsettings.ini ??

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Sunday, June 12, 2016 3:11 PM
  • So the client on which the task sequence was run is currently still on the startup animation which occurs after first logging on/sysprepping a device.  Still waiting on that since, if I remember correctly, the BDD.log is on the client computer.  As for custom settings ini, I did not change it from the default template, and just double checked and verified skipcapture=NO.  I configured the the task sequence to sysprep and capture the image in the preinstallation environment, so that can't be it.  However, as I am writing this, it seems the first logon animation is taking an unnaturally long time to go away.  Maybe an incompatible application.  So is the BDD log in the folder where MDT locally copies the scripts it uses?

The only thing I really changed in terms of the task sequence was editing the unattend file and setting Copyprofile to true
     Update: Finally got past the first logon animation, got error "Cannot find script file C:\LTIBootstrap.vbs"
    • Edited by whiggs3 Sunday, June 12, 2016 3:25 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2016 3:20 PM
  • I have been going through the BDD log as suggested with CMTrace, and, like the other logs that I have gone through, everything seems to successfully complete and kind of just cuts off the Windows preinstallation capture of the image.  The only thing that seems even remotely off about then  BDD.log file is the very last entry: Property BootPE is now =     LiteTouch    6/12/2016 10:58:33 AM    0 (0x0000)
    Here is a link to the whole BDD.log file:

Here it is

However, the computer has booted back up in exactly the same state that mdt left it: the administrator account is the one in use, it is enumerated so that it is able to access the server and its file shares, all applications and files are there, everything.
    • Edited by whiggs3 Sunday, June 12, 2016 3:46 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2016 3:41 PM
  • Hi

This sound likes you are using a custom task sequence.

The sysprep process needs to run in full OS.

Try to use a standard task sequence and add the actions that you need.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen

Monday, June 13, 2016 5:32 AM
  • Ok, so no, I was not using a custom task sequence.  I did select the standard client task sequence template for the deployment.  However, I have an update I would like to add.  Normally, as far as I am aware, the task sequence is supposed to automatically enter the Windows preinstallation environment after it finishes sysprepping and rebooting, right (that is what has happened before).  This morning, on the same device which I was experiencing this issue, I booted from the network adapter to just deploy an operating system to it, and the task sequence re-initialized at the "capture wim" portion of the task.  So its not that the task sequence ignored it, but for some reason, it seems to force me to manually boot from the network adapter instead of doing it automatically like it did before.  Could this be a BIOS/hardware issue you think?
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:24 AM
  • Hi

Yes if you have set Network boot before your HDD boot and have changed your WDS server to always continue.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:39 AM