Inactive template RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Occasionally we see one or more template .dotm's as set to Inactive in Word after startup for a given user, and there is no evident cause.  This in the Global Templates and Add-Ins section in Word options for templates.

I was hoping to automate the checking to true of one that is found to be off, on Startup, but whether looking through the Registry settings locations, or searching online for indications that these are stored in Word cached files between sessions, any such location is inconclusive.

Is there a specific place where Word stores the flag for activating loaded templates?

thanks

todd

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:51 PM

All replies

• Hi todd,

Which version of Word did you use?

As far as I know in Office 2013 this location is used to store templates from Office.com, the default personal location was:

C:\Users\username\Documents\Custom Office Templates 

All Office applications will save templates to this folder by default.

"Word stores the flag for activating loaded templates" what's the meaning of "flag for activating loaded templates"?

Please provide more information about your problem, I'm glad to help you.

Regards,
    Emi Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 8:50 AM
  • Hello Emi,

Thank you for responding.  The version is Word 2010.  The templates affected are loaded from Workgroup Templates on a share from a server, or from Startup, when Word is started.

So from File>Options>AddIns>templates>Go... one can see the loaded .dotm's after Word is started.

I suspect the share drive is sometimes inaccessible due to the pc being unable to connect to the server on pc Startup, and so then the template cannot be found by Word, and it sets it to Inactive.

The problem is this persists for later sessions of Word.  So I want to write a program to check if this is the case before Word starts, and reset the .dotm to Active.  I can't find where Word stores this though, whether the Registry or in a temporary file, or elsewhere.  Example of what I mean is...

Wednesday, January 4, 2017 1:13 PM
  • To make it default to checked, the applicable template must be in the Word Startup Folder. If the template is stored in a different trusted location, you can do this using a Windows shortcut to the template with the shortcut stored in the Startup folder.

A template which has previously been manually added as a global template by checking it in the Templates and Add-Ins dialog which is not in the Startup Folder will be shown in the list as inactive until checked.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Saturday, January 7, 2017 7:05 PM
  • Global templates should NOT be stored in the Workgroup Templates folder, which is for storage of document, not global, templates. They should be stored in the Startup folder. See my earlier reply.

A general recommendation for ease of maintenance and ability to use off-line is to store shared global templates in a network folder but to have them updated to a local startup folder upon login.

Saturday, January 7, 2017 7:09 PM
  • One in Startup has been seen Inactive after launch; others in Workgroup have been so as well.  I hope to detect and change to checked (Active) as needed before Word starts.
    Sunday, January 8, 2017 11:14 PM
  • The screenshot shows our Global templates; one is shown unchecked, as has been seen.

Others that are document templates are NOT shown.  One of those has been seen Inactive.

If the setting to Inactive is somewhere stored by Word between sessions, that is where it might be automated.

Thanks

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:33 PM
  • The way a template shows up in that dialog list as unchecked is that (1) it is not in the Word Startup folder and (2) it was loaded as an Add-In in a previous Word session.

I have given you three links. I propose that you look at them.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:34 PM