Mail Flow Rules in Exchange Control Panel. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a created a rule to block certain type of attachment extensions like *.dat, *.dll, *.exe in ECP(Exchange Server 2016) but the rule is not implementing and I can send those attachments. Pl suggest any changes in the rule to block the attachment extensions.

Thanks.

ShabazAhmedRx

Monday, June 29, 2020 4:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Shabaz,

Please remove the “*.” before the file extensions in your rule condition and try again to see the result.

For example, if you want to block attachments with file extension “.exe”, you can type “exe” when setting the rule condition: 

I tested in my lab with the rule above and it successfully blocks a message with an .exe attachment:

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 5:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Shabaz,

Check the below link help you for track the Mail rule applied the specific email or not

https://practical365.com/exchange-server/tell-transport-rule-applied-email-message/

Otherwise you can add one more condition on your created rule "sender or receiver is located on internal or external organization"

Monday, June 29, 2020 6:28 AM
  • Hi Nagarajan,

Thanks for your reply.

Added condition "sender or receiver is located on internal or external organization" still rule is not implementing.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

ShabazAhmedRx

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 3:36 AM
  • Hi Shabaz,

Please remove the “*.” before the file extensions in your rule condition and try again to see the result.

For example, if you want to block attachments with file extension “.exe”, you can type “exe” when setting the rule condition: 

I tested in my lab with the rule above and it successfully blocks a message with an .exe attachment:

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 5:50 AM
  • Hi yuki sun,

Thanks a lot.

It worked.

Regards,

Shabaz

ShabazAhmedRx

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 6:30 AM
  • Hi Shabaz,

Glad to know that it worked.  Happy to have helped :)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Wednesday, July 1, 2020 7:23 AM